Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is 7-1/2 and we haven't done this. Do you think we should?

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm...it is totally up to you, we opted to have both of our kids microchipped it was about $15.00 each, plus the peace of mind to know that if ever we were to loose one of them or were separated from them for any reason we would be able to find them again. I don't remember the brand off hand, but the company can track down the microchipped animal within 100 yards. It wasn't painful for them at all, in fact both of ours got it done the same day they went in to be neutered/spayed. They insert it like a shot in between their shoulder blades. Just my two cents!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rusty & Stickers came to us microchipped by the breeder. I guess if the dog was being sedated for some reason I would do it. My good friend just got a Golden Retriever puppy. She had the Vet do it during a routine well check. He warned her to turn her head or leave the exam room. She said he told her it was quite painful but fast. Her pup let out the biggest cry!! I would have taken his warning and left the room.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When Murphy comes home and goes for his first Dr. visit, we're going to have him chipped. Oscar is also due for a vet visit and we've decided to chip him too (after 8 yrs without it). Can't be too cautious!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rescue we got Twinkie from microchipped her for us for free. I was there when they did and and she didn't make a sound. They have to kind of a big gauge needle. She took it well. Our company is 24PetWatch.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Menna was chipped last friday and didn't seem to notice and she is the biggest baby ever and howls and squeals if she runs into something (happens often) I'm taking it that it doesn't hurt if they are being distracted.

·
Registered
797 Posts
First ask your local vet and shelter if they have chip readers, and which type. Many do not and there are several types. Each reader only detects it's type of chip.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I brought Winston for a microchip to our vets about 4 years ago.
I was surprised on how fast the procedure was. It's just like giving them a quick vaccination.
The vet pulled some of his extra skin out and "squirt"....it's done! Winston didn't make any noise at all!!! I guess because he is a tank, nothing can hurt him. :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
I chipped Lily the first chance I got. Being that she is my first and I was worried about her nose leading her away from hom.
It can't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts