Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby is neutered,but this last week male intact dogs have been trying to mount him constantly in the park. He doesn't like it and tries desperately to get away.I got nipped today by a big border collie who I had to literally drag off him. They seem to first smell his parts and then start the business.This has never happened before. It seems a bit unfair that I may have to put him on the lead because of other dogs.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any info on this type of thing? There is obviously something different about Toby now that is making these dogs fancy him.

A

·
0 Posts
Huck humps anything that comes within his territory - male/female, don't matter. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some ideas. Agree that it's not fair to have to leash him because of others but safety is the real issue here. Extra Hugs for Toby!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
It is usually more of a dominance driven behavior than a sexually driven one. Especially in the same gender situations.
Molly drives to mount a couple of the dogs in training class, if I'm not careful and she gets too close to them. No harm is done, just the other dogs are just a bit concerned about it all.

A

·
0 Posts
Can anyone tell me why, if it is truly a dominance issue, why Huck becomes fully engorged while being "dominant"? Seems awfully sexual to me. I'm soooooooo confused!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen my westie mounting Toby from the side(she's too small to get on his back end) and I think that is definately a dominance thing, but these dogs mean business. One ran from the other side of the park to get at him, his owner took him away eventually and then 10minutes later he was back without the owner and obviously ready to do the business. Another dog tried later and he too had escaped from the owner to get at him.The whole thing is really strange especially the way it has started so suddenly. I can't help but think that it is sexual the way the dogs are running away from their owners to get at him.

A

·
0 Posts
Were we speaking of humping? ha!

Believe it or not, Ruby (the pervert) sometimes tries to hump my leg now-a-days when I'm doing stretching floor exercises.

First time it happened was when I was trying to fix the christmas tree stand in MA when Ruby was a puppy...she went over to my leg and started going to town. I was on my stomach and was blocked in by all of the low branches and hubby as laughing his head off. That was also the one and only time we had a tree on the floor...she kept trying to eat eat needles.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Grace seemed to think my legs looked extra sexy after she had a good meal. Anyway,I have a foster "Rocky" who would jump on Vinny when he first got here(Rocky fixed, Vinny not) rocky has been here since September and Vinny is now jumping him. Rocky no longer jumps Vinny. I know that it was not sexual even though they acted like it was and I know that dominace was the issue, but, could there be a hormonal change after a male is neutered that would attract other males,I wonder?

C

·
0 Posts
Louie never humps anything... He is almost two and I have never seen it...maybe because he is always too busy scratching and licking??

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lightning is constantly trying to hump the cat. The cat likes Lightning alot, so he puts up with it for a little while. Then Stomps jumps on and starts humping Lightning while Lightning is working on the cat. We have a very mixed up family. I wanted to get a picture of the action to use as my Christmas card, but I was never fast enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well our Ditto, (Dinah's sister who isn't a basset) has been spayed since she was nine months old. She is now six and still regularly goes to town with a large teddy bear that we affectionately call "husband bear." I'm certain it's anthropomorphism but we think she eve looks embarassed when we catch her in the act. :)

Everything I've read says this is a dominance issue but I don't understand what's going on with your Toby. Has anything recently changed, type of food, type of shampoo, etc.? I'm thinking it must be a scent related thing the way the other dogs are acting but I'm only guessing. Sounds frustrating for sure...maybe worth checking with a professional?

Melanie

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Sadeyes,
I have a suggestion, when you're taking Toby for a walk, bring a squirt bottle filled with water with you. If there is a dog comes over and trying to hump Toby, you could squirt some water on his face. That will teach him a lesson without harming anyone.
You don't want to be in between the dogs, that is too risky and dangerous.
I hope it works.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting topic. Cooter has never humped anything or anyone that I know of. However he is constantly "growing" if you know what I mean. The kids think it's hysterical. He does all day nonstop for no reason! BLEH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts