Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Benefits and Risks of Neutering, An Evidence Update: Effects of Neutering on Longevity and Cause of Death in Dogs | The SkeptVet Blog
"Specific cancers were examined if they occurred in more than 1% of the total population. Sterilized dogs were at greater risk for death from all of these eight types of cancer except mammary cancer, supporting the notion that neutering in females is protective against this disease

...Cancer, for example, appeared to be a more common cause of death in neutered compared to intact animals even in breeds with relatively low rates of cancer. This strengthens the idea that neutering is directly associated with the risk of such disease and also emphasizes the importance of considering the absolute, rather than relative risk, and the overall risk picture in any individual patient. "

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hahah - you will always find an opposite opinion :eek: ..... but for me, there are far more benefits NOT to keep a pet b itch cycling, than leaving them coming in all the time. Each to their own :p

Another of my main reasons to spay asap, given the circumstances, was to stop the need to confine twice a year (or whatever interval your bitch might be cycling at). And many Bassets experience false pregnancies. Why would anybody leave one of these to keep having them, pulling them down all the time, when once done, that can all be done away with.

As already mentioned, my vet didn't want to spay my Whippet at 6 months when I first took her in, citing the possibility of bone growth problems, and also spay incontinence. I left her until she was 11 months, with no sign of a season so took her back and asked him to go ahead. She's now 4, and FINE.

One more comment - you should allow 10 days for the incision to heal and the stitches to be ready to come out. Not all bitches bounce back, and unlike castration, it is invasive surgery, so I'd have to factor in her perhaps not being rearing to go as soon as her stitches are out. In other words, I'd get the vacation over - bearing in mind Sods Law will mean she comes into season while you are away :rolleyes:

Again 'spaying could be a main reason for cancer in dogs'..... getting pregnant and having a disaster whelping could be a reason for death in dogs. As could there be no reason to risk her getting caught and producing mutts in the first place. All I can say - other than as always, make up your OWN mind about neutering

ps I avoid castrating a male. And I'm now off to find somewhere cool to relax, until this blasted heatwave ends.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
but for me, there are far more benefits NOT to keep a pet b itch cycling

I don't recall ever stating an opinion on whether overall or in any particular circumstance whether it was best to spay or not spay any bitch. But only on the question of whether spaying reduces or increases cancer risk which is a mixed bag it increase some risks and decreases other.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is no reason to 'completely confine' bitches on heat :eek:. Yes it must be tricky if you have a resident boy intact. You just have to tthink about when and where you take them out for walks. Our favourites are supermarket carparks We have spent many an evening walking around Waitrose or Sainsbury's whilst one of us gets the food in. :) They love it - all the new smells! And just an on lead around our neighbourhood - like I said it depends where you live - we don't have stray mandogs wandering around.... No big deal. And to add we have never had any kind of UTI or any infection from them being out and about during their season. It is about weighing up pros and cons and the responsibility
but from what I have read and understand the chance of mammary cancer is very very small with allowing one season (or two) and the benefits of physical and mental development /maturity far outweighs it. LOL JMHO... And completely agree with FM - the worst is having a pregnant youngster!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts