Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had José since puppyhood & from time to time the boy has needed his anal glands expressed. :eek: The vet has done this & showed me how, and I have tried a few times over the years but think I was unsuccessful. Anyway that only seems to happen maybe 1-2x a year. Now it seems different. José is licking his butt like there is no tomorrow & doesn't take kindly to me trying to stop him. I tried the gland expression thing but everything looks fine. He isnt scooting so much (although he has a couple times) but it is that licking!

I have a vet appt tonight & am taking him in. Just kind of curious if anyone has experienced this incessent licking & what they had found out.

Sorry for the nasty topic! Wish I just had some cute pictures to post. I will, now that I am back here, just have to get them on my pc & onto a web site.

Thanks, Lisa

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not had the problem other than one Basset that needed "expressing" only a couple of times. Most unpleasant, I might add. As the vet said, well, a little of THIS goes a long way!

My guess is the number of accepted Basset kisses has markedly dropped as of late in your household! :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie & Spencer have had chronic anal gland issues for years. We have been going to the vet every 4-6 weeks for expressing. They tried to teach me how to do it, but I was never successful. (I think deep down, I don't want to be successful.) I have decided it is a job for trained professionals! Recently, Spencer has been getting worse. I started giving them broccoli with every meal. It seems to have worked wonders for Sadie, as she has gone 2 months without expressing & is doing OK, but not Spencer. His are filling up every 1-2 weeks. The vet tech recommended a visit with the vet to see about having them removed, but I am very reluctant to do that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all three of my dogs have this problem, ryobi does the scoot and so does maddie but atticus does tend to lick more then scoot. i use to feed ryobi broccli all the time didn't seem to do any good. at least its not more then every few months (right now anyway)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D :D :D LOL 3-D's.... those would not be cute pictures!

Well I am glad I took him (& truthfully sorry I didn't take him sooner) because he had impacted & infected anal glands. Apparently my technique was not so hot so the vet showed me again how to do it. Like AmyB I might have to decide this is a job for trained professionals! He is on some meds & he has to be 'expressed' once a week for the next two weeks. I am a brave soul (or just cheap, as it would be $15 a pop, parden the pun) & will try this myself next week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
try feeding canned pure pumpkin. This will add fiber to the diet and have firmer poop to help naturally express the anal glands. My Scarlet had problems before I started adding more fiber to her diet, now I only have to express them every so often and not every 2-3 weeks like before.

CTG

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here! Here! on the pumpkin. It's saved me hours of work on my boy's butt (although Francis never seems to mind AT ALL and probably considers it a bonding experience)

·
Registered
775 Posts
How often should the pumpkin be fed and should it be feed alone or with food?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I mix a huge overflowing tablespoon of pumpkin with his kibble for each of his two meals. I also add a little bran, rice, or whatever. He gets a big carrot every morning also. (Oh, and a spoon of yogurt on the side to help with yeast problems.) He had both anal glands abcess 2 years ago and since I've added the extra fiber we haven't had any problems- he goes to the vet to have them expressed every 5 weeks- well worth the $12 charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts