Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night before last I noticed that Shyla had two sores on her back about the size of a quarter. She does not like me to touch them but other than that she is fine. I have not changed her food or anything else. I gave her a bath that night and did not notice them when I was bathing her but an hour later I felt them and they were hard feeling. Possibly they were there the whole time and I just did not feel them. I bathed her with the same puppy shampoo I have always used. They feel hard but you cannot see them just by looking at her. One is on her lower back and the other is between her shoulder blades. Possibly they are mosquito bites that are in bad shape? We have tons of mosquitos due to heavy rains. I'm really just wondering what I can put on them? Hydrocortisone? Antibiotic ointment?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Merlin developed a cyst last summer. It came up very suddenly. I took him to the vet who said, "It's probably just a cyst" and took a fluid sample from it for analysis. It was OK. We decided to leave it rather than have it surgically removed. A couple of weeks later, it suddenly grew quite large (almost the size of an egg) and I made another vet's appointment. The night before we were to go, I touched it to make sure it was still there and still so large. It was sticky and oozing. When we took him in the vet recommended removal. She said that normally they wouldn't remove it, but if it opens up, it probably won't heal and would likely get infected. We had it removed and although it wasn't cancerous or anything to worry about, it was much larger on the inside than was expected.

He has 2 other cysts and has had them for over a year. They haven't shown any sign of change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Molly had a quarter-sized cyst on her hip when we got her. The rescue's vet had drained it and evaluated the fluid a couple of months before the adoption. Our vet was going to drain it, but it burst (kind of like a pimple) when she started to do that. She prescribed some antibiotics and told us to put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. She said it would likely recur and might eventually need to be removed, but was not big deal. I figure a vet visit is cheap when something unknown/unexpected shows up and the vet knows a whole lot more than I do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an appt with the vet scheduled for Saturday and I will ask then. I did put Antibiotic ointment on them last week and one did go away. The other one is a little worse because it is on her back where she can get at it. But it just feels crusty - no oozing. I had the appt set up for her puppy boosters and rabies shots anyway so it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts