Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors left their dog Sophie behind as they were moving. I went over and fed her for 4 days before I took her home (I left a note on their door so I wouldn't get busted for stealing her) I found out after I took Sophie home with me that they were not going to take her with them, and they were looking for a new home for her. So I have her now. She is so cute! I have a house full of cats, Sophie doesn't seem to be bothered by them, but they are scared of her! Sophie whines... a lot! I sure hope that's normal... I used to hear her whine all the time when she was next door, and she continues to do the same now.

·
Registered
761 Posts
How awesome of you to take her in?! That sucks that they were going to just leave her behind. Even though they were "claiming" that they were looking for a new home for her. I doubt they really were. That stinks that people just leave their dogs behind. :mad: I'm glad she was lucky enough to have you as a next door neighbor.

As for the whining. I think it's fairly normal. She's probably confused and can't figure out where her "family" went to and why they didn't take her. She might stop after a while but I don't know. Others have and are experiencing this and they'll have a better idea of what to tell you. Good luck and I'm glad you decided to take her in. Please post some pictures when you get a chance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm so happy Sophie found a NEW family who wouldn't let her be left behind. You will fall in love with her, I promise! Bassets are one of the most lovable breeds (or so I've heard) I love pretty much anything with four legs and fur! :)

She will steal your heart, I have no doubt and I'm sure you'll complete each other's lives! I'm sure the whining is fairly normal, as Doppler and Virga's mom has explained. Sophie is probably just confused. Over time as she becomes more comfortable and accustomed to her new life, I would assume the whining gets better. If not, you might consider other reasons for the whine - boredom, etc.

Enjoy her!! And congrats!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww.... how can someone leave home and not take their beloved dog with them? :(
That would break my heart and the first things in my car would be my dogs!!!

Thank goodness Sophie is with you... how could they leave her? No wonder the poor girl is whining... she's upset :(
I'm sure that once she feels settled with you, her whining will stop. WELL DONE for taking her home, I would have too!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'll never understand how people can just leave a pet behind and not worry about what happened to them. It's so sad. But congratulations on your new pup. I'm glad things turned out well for her.

And yes, pictures please!! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
How lucky Sophie is to have you as a neighbour and one willing to take her in. The cats will soon work out she's just a gentle giant who would rather be their buddy and that they don't have anything to fear from her. They are probably a bit put out right now that their 'peace and quiet ' has been disrupted.

If those people were just going to leave her there, it make you wonder about how many other ways in which they have also been neglectful.

Their loss and your gain I say :)

Enjoy Sophie as I will sure she is already enjoying having someone who cares.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So good of you to take Sophie in to your home. I bet your neighbors had you pegged as a good samaritan.

God bless you both.................and the cats too!

·
Registered
972 Posts
People can be so strange sometimes. If they had been looking for a home for her, they wouldn't have left her by herself to starve. They didn't deserve her! And I don't care where I had to move or how or anything I could never give up my dog! He's my baby!

ANyway, good for you. And stick with it. You might also get her a check up at the vet though, because I bet they didn't take good care of her. She might be whining for some reason other than confusion, boredom, or just talking to you cuz she's happy you're there : )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sophie is awesome! I just love her to death! Thank you all for the kind words! I posted some pics of Sophie in an album, at least I think I did, hopefully it worked! I took her for a walk yesterday, actually, she took me for a jog! My legs are killing me! She went from being a dog that was left outside ALL the time no matter what the weather, to a dog that is allowed to come in the house, go for walks, and go outside. She stays away from the cats, some of them are confronting her and she has a couple scratches from the big cats. But all in all, she's happy! The whining is not as bad, and when I come home from work she tackles me... my husband says that I saved her, and she knows it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awwwh, I'm glad Sophie found some "human slaves" that will appreciate her.......I bet the whining improves when she gets used to her new digs, but some bassets are more "vocal" than others :) Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
47 Posts
:) Congrats to you and Sophie for becoming family!! Bassets are the best. I'm so glad she has you. Enjoy her. Maxwell and Hannah send along whines of their only, mainly Maxwell since he's the "whiner" in our family! :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
How absolutely wonderful of you. sophie really appreciates it, believe me and Francis and I appreciate you.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sophie is awesome! I just love her to death! Thank you all for the kind words! I posted some pics of Sophie in an album, at least I think I did, hopefully it worked! I took her for a walk yesterday, actually, she took me for a jog! My legs are killing me! She went from being a dog that was left outside ALL the time no matter what the weather, to a dog that is allowed to come in the house, go for walks, and go outside. She stays away from the cats, some of them are confronting her and she has a couple scratches from the big cats. But all in all, she's happy! The whining is not as bad, and when I come home from work she tackles me... my husband says that I saved her, and she knows it!
Oh the poor wee love... I hadn't realised Sophie had been left outside all the time!!! :eek:
HOW COULD THEY BE SO AWFUL? They did not deserve to have a dog! :mad:
Thank goodness you have Sophie, who is now being loved and cared for!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to basset ownership (or do they own us?).
They definitely own us! How else would we be trudging around outside in the cold, snow, rain, etc. if they didn't have us trained? Why else would I get on my hands and knees at least once a day and retrieve Virga's bone that she keeps shoving under the sofa? As she's done right this minute. But I wouldn't change a thing and I'm sure most everyone else on this forum would agree!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thank goodness for you. Sophie is one lucky gal. Enjoy her, Bassets are a blast. :)
~Heather

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle wouldn't stop whining when we first brought her home. She was stressed out and confused. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's still a problem a month from now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts