Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.....I know I caught A LOT of flack for this on a prevoius post........but I will get to bring Sophia home 2 days before Christmas :D I can't wait......I went tonight and bought her a little doggie stocking with paw prints on it and stuffed it with doggie chew toys so that she will have something for Christmas morning when we are opening gifts :rolleyes: Just wanted to share my good news..hope everyone has a happy holiday ....I sure will now that my little girl wil be with me finally :wub:

·
Registered
10 Posts
O.K.....I know I caught A LOT of flack for this on a prevoius post........but I will get to bring Sophia home 2 days before Christmas :D I can't wait......I went tonight and bought her a little doggie stocking with paw prints on it and stuffed it with doggie chew toys so that she will have something for Christmas morning when we are opening gifts :rolleyes: Just wanted to share my good news..hope everyone has a happy holiday ....I sure will now that my little girl wil be with me finally :wub:
[/b]
Congratulations !! :D I am so happy for you and your little girl.

Please don't forget to show us a lot of pictures of hers. I can't wait to see them.

My fiance will go visit a local breeder this coming week to see the puppies. We'll see if we'll find Perry from that litter!!

This board is such a joy. :D

Merry Christmas to everyone.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Congratulations!!! I know you are excited, just keep a watchful eye out for all the extra Christmas decorations, etc, that a puppy would love to get in to. Bassets are natorious for putting their noses where they shouldn't. Enjoy your new little one, and have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paragon, because it sounds like you haven't yet selected a breeder, you might find the following discussions of breeding practices useful.

A Comparison of Responsible Breeders and Backyard Breeders, Lawrence Valley Humane Society
What is a Backyard Breeder?, NoPuppyMillsVA
Checklist for the Responsible Breeder, Dog-Play.com
[/b]

:p
My fiance has been calling and speaking with a few local breeders that were advised by a person from the local Basset Hound Club (I am not sure about the name, though). He's decided to go visit one local breeder this week after seeing the pics of the puppies and their parents. If I remember correctly, the father of the puppies has a title from a dog show competition (or something to this effect) :)

Thank you so much for the informative links, Betsy Iole. I appreciate it very much. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe you caught flak because you were going to bring a puppy home at 6 weeks. In fact on Dec 11th you posted:

I'm still waiting for my Sophia to be ready to come home...She is 4 weeks tomorow

So according to the calendar you are bringing home the puppy before it's even six weeks old. I guess I don't really fault you for this, as I know you want the dog. I fault the breeder for letting this animal go before she's ready.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you caught flak because you were going to bring a puppy home at 6 weeks. In fact on Dec 11th you posted:

I'm still waiting for my Sophia to be ready to come home...She is 4 weeks tomorow

So according to the calendar you are bringing home the puppy before it's even six weeks old. I guess I don't really fault you for this, as I know you want the dog. I fault the breeder for letting this animal go before she's ready.
[/b]

She will turn 6 weeks the day after Christmas......But I don't want to go down that road again :p I know peoples point of view and respect it...but I am very confident in the breeder and am I comfortable bringing her home so young. Ultimately it is MY decision and I am confident that I can take care of her the way she needs to be taken care of. I have ALWAYS gotten pups as soon as the breeder would allow b/c I feel the earlier I can begin familiarizing it to me and the "rules" of my house the better. It also makes for stronger bonding between me and the pup in my opinion. I have never had a problem before and don't anticipate any this time.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Before this thread gets too far along, would like to alert members to the possibility that a troll may be at work here. Basically, the alleged story involves a not quite six-week old puppy going into a home at Christmas, where the last dog was killed by a car because the home is located along a busy road. Hard to imagine a worse scenario. :blink: I'm a little skeptical. <_<

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before this thread gets too far along, would like to alert members to the possibility that a troll may be at work here. Basically, the alleged story involves a not quite six-week old puppy going into a home at Christmas, where the last dog was killed by a car because the home is located along a busy road. Hard to imagine a worse scenario. :blink: I'm a little skeptical. <_<
[/b]

That was very rude an uncalled for :angry: I am NOT a troll and am a very responsible pet owner. The fact that my first dog was accidentally hit has no baring on this issue...and I have already stated in a previous post that we are putting in a better pen which wil be concreted so there will not be another accident. I really do not appreciate all of the flack I am getting over this. I am absolutely crazy about Sophia and will do everything I can to take care of her. I thought this was a site where I could get support....so far all I have gotten is grief. I am seriously considerin finding another forum if people continue to be so mean and negative. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I guess that I'm feeling that Sophia is going to a good, loving home. Maybe she's a bit too young, but I think that her mom has already had all kinds of warnings from this board of the pitfalls of taking a pup that young away from it's siblings. I think, if I remember correctly, that one of the perks was that there will be a stronger bonding with her human. Although I got Baxter when he was 3 months old, that was not by my choosing but simply circumstance, and I think if I knew about him ahead of time I would have wanted to take him home ASAP!! So, since this is Sophia's mom's decision, and it's going to happen, why not be happy for her and Sophia? I for one am happy and wish them a wonderful Christmas!! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
We got Coltrane at six weeks. The only problem i can warn about is bite inhibition. He still bites too hard sometimes and i am sure it is because he was taken from his litter too early. I wouldn't change a thing though, we love him so much and asides from the playbiting, he's a wonderful puppy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.....it is nice to FINALLY hear people who are happy that I'm getting a beautiful bassett baby...wish everyone could overlook the age issue and just welcome Sophia and I to the site...I really am beggining to feel as if I am not welcome just because I am getting her a little young and I'm new to the bassett world .....and I don't appreciate being made out to be some horrible troll who doesn't know how to take care of a dog. I have had a dog my whole life and loved, spoiled and cared for every one. I was devastated when my Raegan was hit two days before Thanksgiving...as I'm sure any pet owner would have been. I joined this forum after reading as a guest several times and loved the way everyone supported one another...I guess you have to be a member for a few years to get those perks though...maybe I will just read for awhile and not post until everyone can stop bringing up the fact that she is 6 weeks old and they think it is too early for her to come home....if they can manage to do that.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
CyberHound is not for everyone, and there are other forums that may better meet a particular person's needs. A significant portion of CyberHound's membership is actively involved in promoting breed welfare (rescue, education, dog sports, responsible breeding, etc.). They tend to look at things from the dog's point of view. These members don't usually remain silent when they become aware of situations that are detrimental or dangerous to individual dogs or to the breed in general.

As mentioned earlier, there are several other forums that are more focused on owners' interests than on basset welfare. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm not here on Cyberhound to show pictures or tell stories, not that those aren't important components of the forum, but rather I'm here to help educate people about our breed. That includes how to find a reputable breeder, housetraining, health issues, behavior issues and the list goes on. A reputable breeder doesn't let a puppy go to a new owner at 6 weeks unless maybe it's going to someone whose goal is to put an OTCH on the dog. ;) But I still don't know of any that let a pup go that young. It's just not done and it's a red flag if the breeder is sending home a puppy at not even 6 weeks of age. Unlikely that such a breeder did any health screenings. We have had members with dogs who have had glaucoma and thrombopathia and most of the dogs came from uneducated, uninformed back yard breeders or pet stores. Although Francis is one of the coolest dogs on Cyberhound, if you've been around her for a while you know about the pain, heartache, huge medical bills that he and his wonderful owner Beverly Anne has gone through.

Betsy and I have been told time and again that we're mean and rotten, that we should be happy for people like Sophia's Mom. But I'm not happy because that's one more person that hasn't gotten the message. Someone else says it's the breeder’s fault. Sure she's wrong to sell a 6 week old pup but if there were no buyers there would be no back yard breeders, puppy mills or pet stores. :angry:

My thanks to all the wonderful people on Cyberhound who have rescued a basset hound-you are special people. Rescue or reputable is the only way to go!

Off my soapbox until next year. ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Very well said, Barb. You and I know the same breeders, and there's simply no way any of them would let a pup go so young. Not to mention the Christmas factor.

This whole thing stinks, and the Original Poster is certainly barking up the wrong tree (no pun intended) if she thinks she's going to get support here. If someone wants an education, I'll help, and I know you, Betsy, Soundtrack, etc., will, too. If the education falls on deaf ears, these people deserve whatever they wind up with. BYBs who are in it for the money are no better than puppy mills or the home brokers that are starting to crop up with more frequency. I've no doubt little Sophia will go home with papers, too, something else the breeders I know don't send along until they've gotten proof that the dog/bitch has been neutered/spayed.

Shame on these breeders -- and the people who buy puppies from them, thereby encouraging more of these litters!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very well said, Barb. You and I know the same breeders, and there's simply no way any of them would let a pup go so young. Not to mention the Christmas factor.

This whole thing stinks, and the Original Poster is certainly barking up the wrong tree (no pun intended) if she thinks she's going to get support here. If someone wants an education, I'll help, and I know you, Betsy, Soundtrack, etc., will, too. If the education falls on deaf ears, these people deserve whatever they wind up with. BYBs who are in it for the money are no better than puppy mills or the home brokers that are starting to crop up with more frequency. I've no doubt little Sophia will go home with papers, too, something else the breeders I know don't send along until they've gotten proof that the dog/bitch has been neutered/spayed.

Shame on these breeders -- and the people who buy puppies from them, thereby encouraging more of these litters!
[/b]

What I wind up with is a dog who will be spoiled rotten. loved by my entire family and well taken care of....if you can't appreciate that then I am sorry. It is my dog and my choice. I never ask for anything but to feel welcome on this site and to be able to learn about this wonderful breed. I am sorry if my sharing of my happiness at getting a beautiful puppy has ruffled feathers b/c I am not obtaining her by your or anyone elses standards. You can feel free to ignore my future posts.... whether it be a question , comment, or just some news pertaining to Sophia.... if you wish. But I will continue to post b/c believe it or not there are several people who have PM'd me and said they are happy for me and they too have gotten pups at 6 weeks and they are just fine. So from now on anyone who post a comment saying they have a problem with me or how I am getting Sophia will not be given the satisfaction of a reply post by me and this the last time I will talk about this subject. If the administration feels I am not a qualified member for this forum I will relinquish my membership and go elsewhere...although I do not wish to do so. Oh and by the way...I have spoken with my vet about getting Sophia fixed as soon as she is ready...and NO she will not come home with papers..and it was very rude of you to suggest that I have no idea how to take care of a dog or the importance of spaying/neutering. I am tired of being treated like I am an ignorant person who has no idea how to raise a healthy happy dog.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Merely loving and spoiling a dog is not enough. :( Recognizing the limitations of one's resources and perhaps making a decision to wait until a safe, secure environment can be provided demonstrate a genuine commitment to a new puppy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who said I had limited resources????? and why do you assume my home is not safe for a dog based on one accident, which is what I figure you are refering to???? You are making ALOT of statements based upon small bits of information and really ticking me off to be quite honest. You don't know me, you don't know what my "resources" or home are like so don't assume that you do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congratulations on your new dog. I am sure you will gain a great deal of good information here although on occasion it may not be what your hoping to get. That is true of all forums.

In the time I have been a member I have been given pretty good advice overall. The whole six, eight, ten week age issue comes up from time to time and you will find at least two differnt opinions. They both appear to center around people vs dog bonding and what the pups may or may not miss out on. I'm not advocating one point of view over another just passing along my personal experience.

My current dogs came home one day shy of seven weeks. Our vet had a list of requirements for their selection and homecoming that we used as our guide. The breeder we used provided health records to that point, required we agree to relinquish the dogs if we could not keep them and that we spay/neuter. We also have the information regarding both parents (who were on site) and we can gain genetic testing data if we desire. We will also report any health issues back to the breeder.

We take our responsibility to our pets very seriously. We maintain a healthy environment, provide all appropriate health care, training and socialization as well as exercise - both mental and physical. Luther and Sammy are just over three years old and our experience has been positive. Prior to this my pets (both cats and dogs) were all rescues - some purebred and some not. Each situation is unique and no one solution fits all problems.

Hope all goes well for you. Sophia is very cute, :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts