Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Basset hound puppy is turning 8 months on the 15th and she’s weighing 30 pounds, I go to the vet and they tell me she looks perfectly healthy, she’s not thin, she was just treated for worms. I feed her 3 cups a day, I even add extra calories like oatmeal to her food (for her skin problems too!) but Then I talk to her sister’s owner and she weighs about 37 pounds. I mean my basset is more active than hers. But still I see other bassets on the web younger than her and they seem huge. Could this be a case of deformation due to breeding? Her parents are akc registered so they should be good... right? Any tips I can used to help her achieve her ideal weight?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nothing deformed about her. Females are usually smaller than males. She’s only 8 months so there’s still lots of time to grow and fill out. If your vet says she’s at a healthy weight for her age, then relax and enjoy her companionship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing deformed about her. Females are usually smaller than males. She’s only 8 months so there’s still lots of time to grow and fill out. If your vet says she’s at a healthy weight for her age, then relax and enjoy her companionship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah shes my first basset puppy and I know that females are smaller but didn’t know how smaller. A smaller female usually weighs 35 pounds at her age and she’s hardly 30. But yeah she’s getting lots of kisses and hugs everyday especially now in quarantine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks! Yeah shes my first basset puppy and I know that females are smaller but didn’t know how smaller. A smaller female usually weighs 35 pounds at her age and she’s hardly 30. But yeah she’s getting lots of kisses and hugs everyday especially now in quarantine!
Don't get wrapped up in "Ideal Weight". Answer the following: Is the pup healthy, is the pup happy. If yes to both try to maintain both and enjoy the pup. George was the runt of the litter, never got over 42 lbs and had a happy 15+ years. He developed respiratory problem and I had to let him go this last Monday. A better friend there has never been.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get wrapped up in "Ideal Weight". Answer the following: Is the pup healthy, is the pup happy. If yes to both try to maintain both and enjoy the pup. George was the runt of the litter, never got over 42 lbs and had a happy 15+ years. He developed respiratory problem and I had to let him go this last Monday. A better friend there has never been.
Aww so sorry for your loss, I also had to say goodbye to my mini dachshund on Valentine’s Day this year,he escaped and got ran over. I still miss him til this day. He would’ve loved Honey! George and Limo were the best good boys in this world! 🤍 they will always have a special place in our hearts that’s for sure! Puppy Hugs from honey and daisy!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
So sorry for your loss dhartung. It hurts. Anyhow I'd totally agree - do NOT get wrapped up on weight. As a breed, the Basset does tend to come in different sizes/weight but it's more about whether the hound is overall healthy. My late departed boy came from a breeder who was fixated on weight to the point it was as if she was running a fat farm. Frankie was a big puppy when he came to us at 4 months and the damage (too much growth, too fast) had already been done. I believe that the Basset (or any big breed) needs to grow at a steady rate so by the time they reach maturity, they remain sound.

Here is Frankie shortly after he came to us, at 4 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sorry for your loss dhartung. It hurts. Anyhow I'd totally agree - do NOT get wrapped up on weight. As a breed, the Basset does tend to come in different sizes/weight but it's more about whether the hound is overall healthy. My late departed boy came from a breeder who was fixated on weight to the point it was as if she was running a fat farm. Frankie was a big puppy when he came to us at 4 months and the damage (too much growth, too fast) had already been done. I believe that the Basset (or any big breed) needs to grow at a steady rate so by the time they reach maturity, they remain sound.

Here is Frankie shortly after he came to us, at 4 months.
He was a big puppy haha I had a male basset puppy come to us two years ago and he was HUGE at 3months. Honeys is still having some off and on GI issues but we’re starting the dewormer today to see if that makes her feel better. Fingers crossed! Thank you so much for your advice! Always appreciate it! :) hugs from Honey!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
"I believe that the Basset (or any big breed) needs to grow at a steady rate so by the time they reach maturity, they remain sound. "

could not agree more . it it is most about caloric intake and not doing calcium supplementation especial when the the puppy it really young. they gain to regulate calcium slowly as they mature so problems are less likely latter, But the idea of a rounded content puppy is a bad one. You want a lean healthy puppy they should be on the lean side until maturity. 14 -18 months

1 - 8 of 8 Posts