Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, if I owe anyone private messages, my computer has been acting up...so bear with me.

That being said, Ruby seems to have some sort of involuntary fast tremor with one of her hind legs/hips area. I've seen it about 2 times sporadically when she's walking out in the yard. She'll be sniffing and walking, trying to locate the best place to make potty, and while she's walking, one of her legs starts shaking by itself; I wonder if it's her hip (?). She's still walking mind you, and she stops for a second and she puts the foot down and that's it.

The first time I saw it, I thought she stepped on a thorn or something like that in the yard because we purposely let all the grass die (for now). Turns out it's not something in her foot.

I told hubby about it and we thougth we'd do a wait and see if it happens again. Saw it a few months ago too. It has never seemed to bother her when I saw it.

This morning, hubby told me that he took Ruby out (5 a.m.) for her pee and poop, and she ran back into the house (common occurance, when you ask, "do you want to EAT?"). He said she had kibble in her mouth and all of a sudden, he saw her back leg start shaking fast. She stopped eating and kibble was falling out of her mouth. He said she went over to the rug/mat at the sink area and sat down to sort of wipe her butt (so he thought). Then she was fine. Went back to the bowl, ate all of her food, drank her water. He took her out again and she just stood there yawning (like normal).

It's not anal gland problems, because she had them taken care of when we lived in FL; anal gland marsupialization. He thinks she sat down on the mat and wiped her butt not to really wipe it, but to stop whatever was happening (?)

Does any of this sound familiar? I will call the vet, but I wanted to ask you basset experts first. We hope it's not neurology problems!!! If so, then we're more alike than I thought (I see my neurologist tomorrow!)

Ideas?

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could just be a muscle spasm.

I would check over her nails and paws just to be sure..

I'm sure others might have better ideas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I am no expert by any means but when my neighbors dog had a similiar experiance it was actually a seizure. His seizure was then dignosed as a thyroid problem. He is currently on meds to get his thyroid worked out. I would probably call the vet. Just my two cents. Hope you are both doing better soon!

Baxter's Mama :blink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not to scare you or anything, but my beloved previous dog had tremors which escalated into seizures. It was epilepsy and she was on medication which controlled the seizures for a time. I really hope this isn't Ruby's problem. That was a very tough haul. Best of luck to you and by all means, see the vet.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Poor Ruby - lots of drool being slung to her. Since it's in the 90's we have buckets of it!

I have no advice except to see the vet. It does sound like a lot of things that it COULD be are treatable. The vet will also help ease your mind.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before I start, if I owe anyone private messages, my computer has been acting up...so bear with me.

That being said, Ruby seems to have some sort of involuntary fast tremor with one of her hind legs/hips area. I've seen it about 2 times sporadically when she's walking out in the yard. She'll be sniffing and walking, trying to locate the best place to make potty, and while she's walking, one of her legs starts shaking by itself; I wonder if it's her hip (?). She's still walking mind you, and she stops for a second and she puts the foot down and that's it.

The first time I saw it, I thought she stepped on a thorn or something like that in the yard because we purposely let all the grass die (for now). Turns out it's not something in her foot.

I told hubby about it and we thougth we'd do a wait and see if it happens again. Saw it a few months ago too. It has never seemed to bother her when I saw it.

This morning, hubby told me that he took Ruby out (5 a.m.) for her pee and poop, and she ran back into the house (common occurance, when you ask, "do you want to EAT?"). He said she had kibble in her mouth and all of a sudden, he saw her back leg start shaking fast. She stopped eating and kibble was falling out of her mouth. He said she went over to the rug/mat at the sink area and sat down to sort of wipe her butt (so he thought). Then she was fine. Went back to the bowl, ate all of her food, drank her water. He took her out again and she just stood there yawning (like normal).

It's not anal gland problems, because she had them taken care of when we lived in FL; anal gland marsupialization. He thinks she sat down on the mat and wiped her butt not to really wipe it, but to stop whatever was happening (?)

Does any of this sound familiar? I will call the vet, but I wanted to ask you basset experts first. We hope it's not neurology problems!!! If so, then we're more alike than I thought (I see my neurologist tomorrow!)

Ideas?

Janice and little Ruby[/b]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Janice and Ruby,

I think everyone's advice to see the vet is right on target. My buddy Jasper has had occasional problems with his hind legs but they didn't involve tremors, just the opposite. He sometimes (usually when it's quite cold out) will have a hind leg become stiff and stuck out at an odd angle. I will gently rub the limb for a minute or so and it begins to move normally. Jasper has experienced seizures when on a sedative medication after a surgical procedure but doesn't take antiseizure medication. Hope Ruby will be alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts