Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I must be pretty lucky to live in an area with reasonably priced pet care and an abundanceof Vet practices. Lucy had a bad bout with colitis when she was about 2. It was really bad, the whole dehydration thing that was mentioned in prior posts. My Vet took her in over-night, hydrated her on IV, said "wait and see" ran a few blood tests. She recovered in 24 hours. Only charged for the pills he sent home and the IV, blood tests, no over night charge, no ER charge. Later in her life, Lucy chomped on a metal clip (that was another nickname........."Lucy with the cast iron stomach", cause she ate EVERYTHING) that wedged between her teeth and gum, bled and created quiet a problem for the old girl. 10:00 pm, called the Vet, who met us at the office. She drugged her up enough to extract the metal clip. We were home in and hour and a bill less than two hundred buck-a-roos............I do feel lucky/grateful for the care my hound received..........and happy to be a county bumpkin! But as in all areas cost of living relates to services/goods, cost is relative to your area, big salaries, high cost, low salaries, low cost!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am so pleased that Toby is on the mend, it's such a worry when our Bassets (or any other dogs) aren't well and they can't tell us what is wrong! As you said, you'll have to keep him out of the trash because hounds are greedy and eat most things and you don't want him picking up something really awful, especially if it's possible that rats can get into the rubbish!! :(

GET WELL SOON TOBY! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks everyone. toby was feeling much better over the weekend. he really hates his medicine though. he's still just a little bit sluggish but overall he's doing just fine. i'm so relieved it wasn't something more serious or life threatening!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad to hear Toby's much better... please make sure he has plenty of fresh water as he will have lost a lot of fluid on the days he had diarrhoea!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts