Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night toby got diarrhea and i don't know why because i haven't given him anything out of the ordinary. then i realized it had what appeared to be blood in it does anyone know what this could be or has this happened to anyone? i'm worried about him and i am at work so i can't be there to watch him. we have obedience class tonight and i don't want to take him if he's sick with something.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did he's going to the vet as soon as i get off work and missing his class. :( i'm worried about him..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please keep us posted, hoping all goes well, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
last night was very very bad. he had diarrhea again starting at about 2 30AM, going about 10 times until about 5 30. since i have to be at work, he is at his grandma's and she is watching and monitoring him. i wasn't able to take him to the vet yesterday so i am going to a vet this evening that is open later into the day. my mom said he still has diarrhea but he is still acting like his usual self, except one thing last night REALLY bothered me. he snapped at me while he was eating which he has never ever ever done before. it was so out of character for him it really shocked me and i'm hoping the two aren't somehow connected. i'm so worried not to mention tired.

·
Registered
878 Posts
last night was very very bad. he had diarrhea again starting at about 2 30AM, going about 10 times until about 5 30. since i have to be at work, he is at his grandma's and she is watching and monitoring him. i wasn't able to take him to the vet yesterday so i am going to a vet this evening that is open later into the day. my mom said he still has diarrhea but he is still acting like his usual self, except one thing last night REALLY bothered me. he snapped at me while he was eating which he has never ever ever done before. it was so out of character for him it really shocked me and i'm hoping the two aren't somehow connected. i'm so worried not to mention tired.
If he has snapped at you (which is VERY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR ANY BASSET) it might be because he's in pain and is trying to tell you something is wrong!! Constant diarrhoea is possibly a symptom of something serious and needs prompt attention because if dogs get dehydrated, they can get become very ill or even worse!!! If you love your Basset you will want to do the best for him, which means seeing the vet.

Edit:: Had it been one of my Bassets, I would have been at the vets long before now and out of hours I would have rung the vet not waited another day and I would not be able to live with myself if the vet told me that a few hours delay has worsened the poor dog's condition! :confused: :(

Couldn't the person who is watching him today have taken him to the vet?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow how about i did call the vet and i do love my dog which is why im going to the vet so don't imply that i'm a bad owner and don't love my dog because that's not true at all. and if she takes him she would have to pay for whatever they have to do there which is why i'm going right after work. you aren't helping you're just being rude

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm with SophieB on this one. Diahrrea is very serious in a pup, and bloody diahrrea is very serious PERIOD. This has now been going on for at least two days without a vet's help and the pup is in obvious distress. You need to stop making excuses and take the animal to a vet. And don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear the answer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow seems to be A LOT of finger pointing at the owner here.... In reading this, I find it absolutely absurd, that his regular vet did not make this an emergency case, and he had to call another with longer hours, who STILL made him arrange for an appointment...
Please keep us posted..your little guy continues to be in my thoughts

·
Registered
275 Posts
All the Vets around where I live have emergency service and would offer consultation or see a case like this any time of the day or night. Our first vet, worked alone and covered his practice 24/7 or else made arrangements for another practice to cover while he vacationed with his family. The latest practice we used was a group practice and has 24/7 rotation coverage. We can call any time day or night and they will come to the office when necessary. They tell you over the phone upfront ER cost but I believe if you tell them you have a monetary problem, they'll work with you. It's all about compassion. Having your first experience as a pet owner is certainly learning experience, which can be very hard! It's every bit as important as being a parent to children and neither come with instruction books. Here's a rule of thumb I've always followed and tell my own children about their situations with their kids and pets:

If you are "up at night worrying" about your child or pet, it's worth a call to the doctor or vet! Speak to a professional, if you contact one who isn't available or willing to help you out any time day or night...........call another one!

Hang in there!

I hope and pray Tobi is OK!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
All the Vets around where I live have emergency service and would offer consultation or see a case like this any time of the day or night
Common practice vary greatly in different parts of the country, region to region city to city, Such is not the case in RI and Eastern MA where there are specialized after hour hospitals set up for exclusively for off our services. they are not open 7-5 The problem is they generally require the estimated worst case estimate service fee up front before even doing more than triage with the cost hovering around a small mortgage. Not some place you want to go on a whim.

·
Registered
878 Posts
what excuses did i make? HE IS GOING TO THE VET TODAY.
Personally, had Toby been my pup and suffering like he has, my priority would have been to see the vet the same day, to sort out what could potentially be a very serious problem, especially as the ongoing condition could cause dehydration, which is serious in itself in a dog!

I do hope you have taken Toby to see a vet by now as you said you would be doing, because this is now more than two days since you first said he was unwell. I hope your poor wee pup will make a full recovery as it's never good to hear of a helpless young animal suffering illness and the necessary attention by a vet being delayed.... :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it wasn't anything life threatening, which i had a feeling it wasn't. it is colitis(sp?) a bacterial infection that he probably got from eating out of the trash. so now the trash is in a place he can't get to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I'm glad it was not anything life threatening... I hope he has a speedy recovery:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Glad to read he is okay and it is bacterial and hopefully he is on the right antibiotics. The ER clinics operate like Mikey said in my area. I work for a Vet practice with 3 Drs. When we close for the day we code over our phones to a large ER facility in the area. They are $$ and do present you with an estimate on the high end before actual treatment starts. But there you will find the state of the art equipment and skilled doctors. You just have to realize they are an ER facility and you will pay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts