Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be getting my puppy the end of next week, so of course I am still asking questions :)

Do your bassets enjoy baths? How often do you need to bathe them? I have read on numerous sites that they don't need baths very often-and then I have read on a lot of others that they need them often from being so low to the ground.

Harness or collar? And do you always leave it on? Any guesses on size to get for our puppy (8 weeks old) or do I just have to be patient and get one once we have him here? I am leaning toward harness for him. Our rottie always wore his collar but never had a harness. chances are pretty good that for the first several months, the only time Flash will be alone is during nap time for my youngest (so up to 2 hours) and also bedtime for the rest of us.

I guess my thinking is at first it is easier to keep the harness/collar on the pup so that I can make a quick dash outside on the leash for potty trips. I don't have a fenced in yard so he will always be on the leash with me or possibly tied out (but also with me, just so I can have hands free with the kids sometimes).

I know there was something else I wanted to ask but now I cannot remember it for the life of me! I guess this means I will harass you all again later.

thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! I am so anxious to bring him home! And watching your videos and pics on here just gets me that much more excited!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think each pup is different, but I'd say most bassets don't like baths. But when you do give them one make it a fun place. Entice them in with treats...don't force them in.

As for the harness, I'd say always have a collar on with the tag. That way if you need a quick dash out for potty training you can just hook up to that. And for walks harness up if you'd like :)

Very excited for you, can't wait to see the pics :):):)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do your bassets enjoy baths? How often do you need to bathe them? I have read on numerous sites that they don't need baths very often-and then I have read on a lot of others that they need them often from being so low to the ground.

Harness or collar? And do you always leave it on? Any guesses on size to get for our puppy (8 weeks old) or do I just have to be patient and get one once we have him here? I am leaning toward harness for him.
Chuck really doesn't like baths too much so I give him a bath about once a month and use bath wipes in between to spot clean him.

He is 4 months old and I got him a size medium harness. I put it on him at first for a few hours at a time so he'd get used to it and now I just put it on when we go for a walk.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mine don't necessarily like baths but they tolerate them. As for harness versus collars. They both wear martingale collars. And Doppler gets walks with his collar. Virga uses a harness though because she pulls and while I'm working on her pulling I'd rather she didn't choke herself with her collar. But eventually I'm hoping to walk her with her collar too. I would wait to get the harness until you get the puppy. I've consistently underestimated her size. I would have bought both a collar and harness smaller than she is but my husband convinced me to wait until we could bring her to try them on. So I would wait. And most pet stores allow you return or exchange harness and collars if they're too big. So when you get back to your pup you should check the fit of whatever you got.

My husband brought up a very good point. Puppies grow really fast during their puppy months and so an adjustable collar would probably be best at first. Virga is on her third collar right now. She was that teeny when we got her and grew that much.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Toby hasn't had a bath for nearly 2 years now. He doesn't roll in anything nasty. He doesn't smell at all. I think unless a dog has a medical problem that warrants baths in special shampoo, or they are rolling in animal faeces then a good brush for everyday dirt is ample.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
For puppies if you are going to have anything on a would go with the harness it is too easy to damage vertibrea even with a flat buckle collar.

Neck-Throat-Cervical-Injuries
Caused by Pulling and Jerks on Flat Buckles

There was no correlation between choke chain collars and back problems. No correlations were found in any of the three parts of the back (lumbar, thoracic, cervical).

Jerking and pulling. On the other hand, there seems to be a connection between how the collar is handled and back problems. Pulling and jerking on the leash affect especially the neck and throat in the dog. As expected, there was no correlation between leash handling and thoracic/lumbar defects. However, one of the clearest correlations in the whole study was between cervical (neck) damages and 'jerk and pull'. 91% of the dogs who had neck injuries had also been exposed to jerking on the leash by the owner or been allowed to pull hard on the leash for long periods of time
Do your bassets enjoy baths? How often do you need to bathe them?
The answer is as often as the dog needs it It is highly varriable. Some basset end up with primary seborrhea characterizied by dandruff i.e. white flakes and most often a greese coat as well but there is a dry from as well. THere is no cure and the remedy is frequent bathing. The symptoms of allergies can often be controlled by frequent bathing as well, Most of the time brush and simply grooming keep the coat clean and dry.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gracie is going to be 9 weeks on wednesday. We got her at 6 weeks. She has had more than several baths since we got her. But mostly because when we tried to contain her she peed and pooped on herself. We've gotten better about knowing when she will need to go. So she hasnt had to have one in about a week. Except after we got back from camping. She was filthy then. We took her to the pet store with us and we tried her harness on before we bought it. We had to get the smallest size. I think it was a toy size. We keep it on her all the time. So she will get used to it. Also it makes it a lot easier to take her out. Especially in the middle of the night.
Oh, and her first bath she cried and howled loudly. After that she was quiet. She doesnt like it, but tolerates it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They certainly need baths. Especially when they have rubbed their face on something dead like roadkill or washed up dead fish on the beach. I find they tolerate it as long as it isn't cold water.

Mine wear harnesses. Their necks end up bigger than their heads, so regular collars are a little too easy for them to escape from.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok I think my Woody is weird but he likes his baths...when we first got him I bathed him in the sink since he was so little but he wanted to drink the bath water and had a huge belly so the next bath I just got in the garden tub with him and set him on my lap..(ok, so maybe I am the one that's weird). He stands now outside the tub and cries if I am in and he isn't. We have a walk in shower and it is normal for him to pop in there when you least expect it.....:eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I think my Woody is weird but he likes his baths...when we first got him I bathed him in the sink since he was so little but he wanted to drink the bath water and had a huge belly so the next bath I just got in the garden tub with him and set him on my lap..(ok, so maybe I am the one that's weird). He stands now outside the tub and cries if I am in and he isn't. We have a walk in shower and it is normal for him to pop in there when you least expect it.....:eek:
I wish I had a walk in shower! I just have a big ol' tub. I always did baths with my rottie until he got too big to pick up-when he was younger he would jump in for a bath but the last year or two we had him he flat out refused!

The worst part was he was getting soooo dirty. So I caved and bought some waterless bath spray for him. It worked great-except it had a bunch of oils in it and I think that created a vicious cycle of attracting MORE dirt!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mine would also watch me shower. Bit weird. Then when I was out and drying off, they would lick the water off the back of my legs. They can be little perverts at times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Watty loves his baths! We have a detachable shower head that makes bathing him super easy. He gets bathed somewhere between every 2 weeks to every month. He gets bathed when there is a perfect combination between his humans having free time and him smelling like a month-old bag of Fritos! He does not, however, appreciate the blow dryer we use to dry him off after his bath.

We use a collar, which he wears all the time. I have heard that there are definite benefits to a harness, though.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie gets baths depending on the weather (I bathe her outside so it needs to be a warm day) and the stink factor. More often I just use wipes to clean her, which she LOVES.

We use a collar, which she only wears when we go for a walk. We also have an anti-pull harness, but we don't use it all that often. I rather enjoy our fast walks lol.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Like Watty, we actually went and bought a hand-held showerhead to give Worm showers in the bathtub. easier to control the water that way. he wants to lick the soapy bathwater :p-- yuck! so i give him the warm water from the showerhead instead, and he happily drinks that. i bathe him weekly-- OH btw! don't get water in their ears. stick cotton in them or something. we tear a cottonball in 2, so they're smaller and stick 1 or 2 of them in each ear. (ummm.. now i'm confused. have you had a basset puppy before? couldn't remember. sorry if i am telling you something you already know...)

the first bath he got was one at his boarding place. i didn't remind them about not getting water in his ears. anyways, the water got in his ears & he got an ear infxn from that. ever since then, I bathe him myself. only takes 10-15 min. bathe him weekly because he is in daycare and dog parks multiple times a week = yuck.

we use a harness, and used to keep it on him a lot, since we were taking him out 4-6x/day for potty and walks. nowadays, don't take him out for potty as much. also, he doesn't try to escape. if he did, we would probably keep a harness or collar on most of the time, w/his I.D. tags. Harnesses are a little more of a pain to put on (25-30 seconds to put on, instead of 5 seconds w/a snap collar). tho better for his back because of all his pulling. he has one of those harnesses that has a loop around his neck like a collar & a loop around his body.

a helpful command we came up with is "head out," in which he would stick his head back and out of the harness, which helps us when we take it off... he knows this one pretty well now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So far we have only used a collar for Molly, no harness. The training facility we go prefers collars for some reason. I had looked into harnesses at one point for walks and outings, but she does much better on leash now, not pulling very much at all, so I never did get a harness. However I am currently looking for a car seatbelt harness for her since she's getting too big to ride in someone's lap on car rides, and I'm hoping to find one that is comfy and safe in car, but also easy to just attach a leash onto when we get to our destination.

As for baths, Molly gets one every weekend, after our trip to the duck pond where she likes to follow the ducks into the water and mud. :rolleyes:
We use wipies or a damp wash cloth to spot clean during the week. She sits and stands pretty good for her baths, but does not like to be rinsed with the water hose sprayer (if we are outside) or with the shower sprayer. I have to use a big cup or pitcher to pour water to rinse her off. And of course that takes much longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bertie is 15 weeks old now and i use a harness with him was advised by the breeder to use 1 has was told that they can slip collars easy , but just personal choice i suppose. vet did say to me not to keep a collar on him all the while due to them having loose skin and can cause them sores due to sweating. bertie has had a couple of baths and loves them.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We have a handicap bathroom. I walk with a crutch. So the tub has a door, and a hand shower. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for dog washing. I do remember how hard it can be to pick up a 60 pound basset to put in the tub if they don't want to go.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I keep a collar on Bernie all the time but when we go out for walks or going somewhere he gets the harness. We have a fenced in section of the yard for him so I don't have to worry about taking him out to potty on a leash. Because he only wears the harness when we go somewhere he gets all excited and when he sees me pick it up cause he knows it's time to go and he loooooves going places.

Bernie isn't a huge fan of baths at all! He's had 3 or 4 since we got him and he is 6 months old. i usually just spot clean or wipe him down in between baths unless he is getting really funky. Luckily he doesn't roll in yucky stuff outside. He does like to roll on our dirty clothes and towels though. It's an everyday thing to go chasing after him to get laundry away from him. Yep, it's all a game. crazy pup! lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Watty loves his baths! We have a detachable shower head that makes bathing him super easy. He gets bathed somewhere between every 2 weeks to every month.
Yep- Fergus is the same. Well, maybe he doesn't LOVE them, but he has resigned himself to getting in the shower when it's time. We do about once a week or every other week. I keep it up half because he is a messy boy and half to keep him used to the routine.

We tried a harness and that did not go over well, likely due to the fit of the harness on the basset body. Front clip harness was even less successful. We just use the collar, but I'd imagine if you start your pup from the get-go in a harness, they will get used to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts