Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both Lucy and Ethel have been Vomiting for 24 hours now and haven't eaten for 36 hours. We took them to the vet last night at 2 in the morning and the vet gave them a shot for the nausea and fluids for dehydration. the fluids left both dogs looking like camels with water humps on thier backs (something I'd never seen before). Now they are having problems standing up because thier legs aren't working too well and the vet said that the motor skill problems are from the shot she gave them last night(9 hours ago). I don't know if this sounds a bit odd to anyone else but I don't think the vet is on the right track here. The dogs never go in the garage and are always supervised when they are in the yard so accidental poisoning seems unlikely. I have no earthly idea what could make 2 bassets sick at the same time with the same exact symptoms.
Anyone else had somthing similar happen to thier hounds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Buckets full of healing drool coming your way from the gang.

It sounds a bit familiar to me. & years ago both Ben and Billy got sick in this way at the same time. Turned out they had gotten into/ eaten something poisonous. But with treatment, they both got well.

Hugs and healing drool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
what with my recent experience with Duke :cry: , I say get another opinion. Expensive, but worth it.
OR take them BACK to your vet, and demand they be tested to know EXACTLY what is wrong with them.
Please keep us posted.
And buckets of drool being slung from Canada too!

Sandy and Bo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Oh my!! I do hope they start feeling better soon. It does sound like they got into something they shouldn't have- No one would have tried to hurt them would they? I have a neighbor I don't trust is why I ask. A friend's dogs got into some spoiled hamburger meat and got sick from that. Sending lots of drool- Watch them closely for dehydration- Many hugs


-Wendy- Mom to Samantha, Jake, Abby & Indy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,249 Posts
Sounds like the vet gave the pups Reglan. Biscuit was given a shot of Reglan and it knocked him plumb loony for a day or so --- it was awful. I've also seen it given to my dad and one of my nieces --- same reaction.

I don't like it much, but who am I?

I don't know what could make them both sick at the same time, but i would guess they both ate something which didn't agree with them.

I hope they feel better quickly. Please keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Poor babies! I sure they are better soon. I know how hard it is to see them sick. If you have another vet that can check them it may be worth it. We actually drive 40 minutes to our vet - we like them that much. I also have the emergency animal hospital number - we've used them a couple of times over the years. Is there a hospital near you that you can check in with?

Lots of healing thoughts and drool fom Sammy & Luther and us too.

Suzanne
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone......Just got back from the vets again and they got loaded up with goofy medicine and fluids. They look like 2 "Brahma Bassets" with the big humps on thier backs and they are walking around like a couple of drunks. They were being seen at the $$$$ emergency animal hospital but tomorrow they will go to our regular vet. We have a great vet and I'm sure he'll figure this out. All the blood work was normal so that is ine less thing to worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
A couple of my dogs got into some blood meal on a friend's property, a few years ago. Lots of vomiting and diarrhea. The older one had to spend the night at the emergency vet for observation and hydration. That was a pretty expensive misadventure. :|
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top