Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I recently adopted a senior basset hound from a shelter. She was a stray so we don't know a lot about her, but I was wondering, how common is it for bassets to be almost solid red? The white patch in her picture in my avatar is the only white on her, other than that she is solid red. I have never seen a basset hound with this color before. Is it normal?

Here is another picture as a reference:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guardian Angel Basset Rescue (GABR) has a pic of one on their site that looks very similar. I think they are beautiful!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how interesting, not even the white tip on her tail. she's beautimous!
The tips of her front toes also look like they have white on them, but it's hard to say now how much of it is really coloration since she is turning white from age. She has a few white hairs on the end of her tail, but again I'm not sure how much of it would've actually been there years ago.

Guardian Angel Basset Rescue (GABR) has a pic of one on their site that looks very similar. I think they are beautiful!
That basset on that page you mentioned does look a lot like her. I agree, I think she is really beautiful. People comment all the time how unique she is.

I wish we had any idea where she came from, but the first 6 years or so of her life are a total mystery. She was rescued as a stray that had been shot and in labor for days. Her belly was so stressed from puppies they had to do surgery to repair it. I suspect maybe she was used by an irresponsible breeder and then dumped.

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your Basset is a gorgeous rich colour and looks cute and I have never seen a solid colour before.

My two girls are red with white patches my last very sweet Basset was mostly black with a white neck and a white area over her body near her tail and two brown 'eyebrows' like most of the dark ones seem to have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Roscoe may have a bit more white - his underside is white from under his chin most of the way down his belly, and part of each foot is white. But other than that he's solid red. I'd imagine your baby looked a lot like him in her younger years.

You can see pix of him in my album.

She's a beauty, but I may be a bit biased!:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
She was rescued as a stray that had been shot and in labor for days. Her belly was so stressed from puppies they had to do surgery to repair it. I suspect maybe she was used by an irresponsible breeder and then dumped.

That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. I'm glad she has a good home now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just lost my all red male basset at age 6 due to the local vet clinic botching a simple surgery 2 times. We did everything we could to keep him alive but he slowly left us. If anyone is from the milwaukee wisconsin area, the spirit of 76 vet clinic should be shut down for malpractice and murder. Attached are 2 pictures of what he looked like

You'll be missed boy

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Paintballer 78, I'm so sorry about your loss of your beautiful Basset, you will be devastated! :(

Kirska, your red Basset is just so lovely and it must be nice having a 'rare' solid colour. One of mine doesn't have very much white on her and I chose both of my Bassets from a litter of eight because of them having less white on than the rest of the litter!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In one of my early litters I had a solid red ,no white at all. He was very pretty.The dam was red blanket with white ,stud was a tri so tough to know which side he came from.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paintballer, I am really sad to hear about what happened to your dog. I am glad you are sharing your experience with others so that people can know about the vet. I'd recommend finding online review websites such as yelp.com and posting a negative review. So many people blindly follow both vets and human doctors. People deserve to know when they are putting their dogs or themselves in danger.

So sorry about your red boy. He was very handsome and I'm sure you miss him so much.

·
Registered
275 Posts
RIP ATB Flash
Paintballer, Blessings of peace and comfort during your time of loss. He was a Big Red Beautiful Basset!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've never seen an all red basset in person but have seen several pictures of them.
Paintballer, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haven't seen that almost all red colouring before - but she sure is a big and beautiful girl so I say to just enjoy her and unusual markings as she is - makes her all the more unique and special in my eyes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts