Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question...I LOOOOVE looking at everyone's pics...but it seems in every picture your hounds are on the sofa. Is this a trait, or have you chosen not to stop them??

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bassets love to be couch potatoes. We have had two Bassets. Our first Basset, Bubba, was a couch potato who ended up with disk problems in his back when he was around seven years old. The vet told us that long backed dogs, especially Bassets with their heavier front half often develop back problems. The constant jumping up, and then the jumping down from furniture which jars and compresses the vertebre is often the cause. Bubba spent two weeks of crate rest, pain meds, no more couches, and ramps for step climbing and entering our vehicles.
Our current Basset, Bogie, is not allowed on the furniture, and he is fine with that. He has his pillow bed to lay on, and we often sit on the floor with him. That's the down side, no cuddling on the couch, but we cuddle on the floor. It sure beats back problems down the road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know I should stop Elvis from getting on the couch, but I can't help it! He's such a great snuggler. He buries his face on my stomach and wraps his big paws around me. He's too cute.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem with those that choose to let their dogs on the sofa...I just dont think we are going to...I have had it both ways, and I liked it alot better with them not on it...I told my husband we are just going to have to snuggle on the floor with Dallas....but I was hoping that I would not have to "fight" him with staying off of it...sounds to me like I will not have to...just have to teach him NO NO!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have ramps for the couch, but unfortunately when Toby wants down in a hurry he refuses to use them :angry:
So I have finally bought him a crate, and I am in the process of trying to get him to lie in there. Just like Sandy with Bo&Moose, I find that putting chairs etc on the couch, doesn't stop him getting up there. :(

I know someone whose Basset was PTS at 6years of age because of a severe back injury, and ,as Toby is very long IMO, I feel he could easily hurt his back with the jumping. I have a baby gate on the stairs, and a ramp for the car, so it's really the couch which is the main problem, but it's becoming a battle of wills trying to stop him getting up there.

If I have one word of advice for new basset owners, it would be 'keep them on the floor'

·
Registered
813 Posts
Every dog of any breed we've had has loved to sprawl on the couch and every one has had free access to it whenever they wanted. That includes, over the years, a Yorkie (okay, Yorkies are too small to "sprawl" :D ), a German shepherd, pit bulls, George and Gigi. Dogs and couches just go together, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
They CAN be trained to stay off the couch. When Sadie & Spencer were young, they never got on my bed or couch. Then all of a sudden, they started getting on the couch. My Mom watched them during the day while I worked & I came to find out (too late) that she was letting them on her furniture. Her response was "You don't have to let them on your couch, just because I let them on mine!" I had a good laugh over that. A couch is a couch & once they felt how comfy it was, that was the end of Bassets on the floor! I then let them in bed with me. They are warm to snuggle with in the cold winters. Of course as they aged, arthritis caused problems & my brother built them steps for the bed which worked out well. The couch was low enough & they used a pillow on the floor for a boost. I eventually bought a futon, just for them! For some reason, Spencer has never gotten on it, but Sadie loved it. I believe any future dogs I may have will have the futon & not my couch or bed!

Hmmmm, where do I sleep? :unsure:

Sorry, no room on the couch. Pull up the floor! :lol:

Sadie crashed on her futon. Notice she had a step to get on it too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts