Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my boyfriend and I were watching some television last night on our new sofa.

snoopy left the room and went into the kitchen. we assumed she'd gone back to finish off her dinner that she barely touched an hour before.

it was quiet for about five minutes and I thought - what's she upto... I assumed, she's probably sat at the back door waiting to be let out.

but OH no....

I found her in the laundry room with clean socks flying EVERYWHERE. I managed to pick up a few before she ran off with no less than SIX in her mouth!

I managed to get them off her within a few minutes but the chase around the house was such fun for all of us!

That was the funniest moment our little girl has given to us yet - she is such a character! Just wish I had the camera for that moment she was trying to pick up all the socks before I did – hilarious!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
This is very funny, of course! :lol:

I'm not sure I want to be a party pooper,
but swallowing socks have caused a lot
of hefty vet bills, so be very careful.

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
289 Posts
My uncle had a basset mix who ate a pillow case.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We call Elmer "our little perv". He prefers underwear!! :lol: He is a master at grabbing many pairs at one time. He stuffs them in his cheeks. (no pun intended!) :lol: Just last night I chased him through the house with some laundry and had to grab him by the tail and just held it (his top half was under our bed) until he conceded the article of clothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tatsi has an undewear, and sock thing too. After I do the laundry I leave the clean clothes in a laundry basket, due to my leg. Funny thing about Tatsi is that she does it at the most emarrassing times.
She offered my father one on my thongs, so embarrassing, until she had Jessi's bra on her head. Will post pics tonight if I can. Having surgery tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ruby's done the bra thing, the undies thing and the unmentionables thing, but she LOVES chewing socks. She's never eaten any tho.

I agree with Steinar's comment. Be sure you watch them to make sure they don't eat the socks. Our friends spent over $2,000 on surgery etc to save the life of their dog who ate an entire tube sock. Dog almost died.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My sister had a Golden Retriever who just LOVED socks! He would gobble them up whenever he saw them. She caught him once swallowing one and called the vet who suggested a dose of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Up came the sock, and then another, and another...until the silly pooch threw up all SIX socks he had swallowed. Needless to say, she had to be very careful and remind her young children not to leave socks out in the open anymore! They luckily never had any more "mass gulpings", but it could have been a disaster! Heed Steiner's warning -- socks can be lethal. (Although, I do enjoy this story since there was nothing worse than my sister's absolute horror over what her dog had done.) :rolleyes:

Colleen

·
Registered
119 Posts
Menna is more delicate and only puts 1 sock in her mouth at one but sausages are a different matter when she can run faster and have so many in her mouth they fall out as she runs causing her even bigger problems----should she stop and pick up or make a quick getaway with what she has greed normally gets the better of her

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes greed always get the better of snoopy but even though she is very quick i tened to be quicker most of the time dropped socks are conserned!!

i do realise the harm socks can cause to dogs if they swallow but luckly snoopy has never eaten one. she tends to just have them in her month and has a little chew. they never come out with holes in. she's even had some tights before and never even laddered them! i think she just likes the smell of them weather they be dirty or clean!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I get undressed Francis stands right in front of me and when I tickle his nose with a loose sock he pulls it off me. Since this was his favorite game when he could see I modified it and it's still his favorite game. He's got the house down so well that I even chase him around the house to get my sock back!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Our Basset just eats rocks, but our son's Cocker/Brittany mix swallowed a pair of knee high hose. Our son was visiting and looked out in the back yard. He saw Zeus dragging his rear on the ground and a piece of knee high hose was following him everywhere he went. Our son was not excited about having to pull out the hose but he did. A few hours later the mate followed the same route. Needless to say his wife now knew where the missing pair of knee highs went.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine aren't into socks, but for some reason Gigi (the Lab) loves to steal my hair scrunchies and chew on them. She doesn't eat them (amazingly enough). She just carries them around and slobbers all over them. Now she's got George doing it, too. I can't seem to explain to them that THIS stuff is MINE and THAT stuff is theirs. I'm having roughly the same success I had when I tried to explain that furniture is ours and rugs are theirs. Like, NONE. :lol: I gave up on the furniture long ago. I suppose I'll have to give up on the scrunchies, too.

Has anyone else tried to convince their dogs that peeing on fire hydrants and chewing on slippers is so cliche? Be original! Pee on something ELSE! But no, they have to be conventional.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We know somebody who had a bloodhound that died from swallowing a tube sock. I'm always worried about that with Max, he loves to get the socks and the girls always leave them around.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had a friend who, growing up, had an older dog who suddenly went from healthy to being unable to eat, very sick, etc. They took the dog to the vet, who said it was probably kidney failure from age, and they could either put it down or take him home and make him comfortable. They took him home, and things progressed until finally the father would have to carrry him outside to go to the bathroom. Jan was watching one morning as her father did this. The dog squatted, strained and strained, and finally had a partial bowel movement, but part of it was still stuck inside and was hanging down. The father sighed, went inside and got a handful of paper towels, wrapped his hand up and pulled on the part hanging out. He pulled and pulled and pulled, and when it was all out, it was a large black garbage bag! The dog had swallowed an entire garbage bag and it had apparently caused a blockage. She said the dog jumped up, and trotted across the yard as if to say: WOW! DO I FEEL BETTER! :lol: The dog lived a long time after that.
I guess years ago, vets didn't perform all these great diagnostic tests that we have today. Just shows they'll eat anything! (Dogs, not the vets!)

Sorry for the gross parts, but I thought it was a great story! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts