Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we made our first visit since Rusty became certified with Therapy Dogs, Inc. We visitied a child placing agency that houses 30 children ages newborn to 10 years old. These children have been removed from their homes due to neglect and or abuse. First we interviewed with 2 therapist who fell in love with him!!!! Then we went to the play area and spent an hour meeting some of the kids. I thought today was just for the interview but the therapists thought we'd see how the kids and Rusty liked each other. The kids loved him. I'll wait for the therapists to get back to me and decided what would benefit the kids the most. WONDERFUL VISIT!! SO proud of my boy!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Congratulations! I know you will love therapy work- sometimes I feel guilty that I get as much satisfaction out of doing this as the people Murray and I visit.

I think bassets gentle, loving temperments make them a natural for this work.

Please keep us posted on your adventures- I love hearing what other pet therapy teams are doing in different areas of the country!

·
Registered
289 Posts
What a lovely thing to do.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wouldn't it be great to hear Rusty and Stickers talking when he got home? He would be boasting how everyone loved him and how he made people feel good...

Stickers would just be thinking "You were there HOW long and didn't get a ton of treats? You are such a sucker Rusty! What did I tell you?"

Congrats to Rusty!!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How funny is that!!!!!!!!!!! My Stickers would say something exactly like that!! She is definitely more selective than Rusty as far as making friends~!! My Husband hopes to go through Therapy Certification with her. She is a Daddy's girl for sure!!! She would make a great therapy dog but is too spooked at times!!!! We are working on this daily!! I do see an improvement. We take both kids out to meet people and or dogs an average of 3 hours a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our life has become getting the dogs out and exposed to many situations!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) :) :) Way to go Rusty!! I knew they would fall in love with you, you are such a handsome and loving guy!! I know you brought smiles and happy thoughts to those children with your visit. What a tremendous thing you two are doing with Rusty and Stickers. I know that sweet Southern gal, Stickers, will make a wonderful therapy hound, as well. The staff and children will fall in love with her, too, I'm sure. :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I really would love to do something like that with Gibbs, he's such a sweetheart and well mannered. I think he would be great at it. Way to go Rusty sounds like you did something wonderful.

~Heather

·
Registered
289 Posts
You should post some pictures of it. I always enjoy seeing your hounds.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Heck, I'd like for Rusty to come visit me! He's such a cutie patootie! What does Miss Diva Stickers think of all this?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rusty loves to visit everyone!! Ms. Stickers sniffed him head to tail when we got home. Then she cleaned his face and they played for awhile. I guess he was telling her about the kids he met. She LOVES kids but sometimes gets spooked by sudden movements. We work on this daily. She is getting better but not yet ready to be a therapy dog. Hopefully someday she will. She does her job by making the neighborhood kids smile :) :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wow, that's great. As a nurse in a cancer surgical unit I know that people love to be visited by Therapy dogs. Your work is very important. You should be congratulated for good work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts