Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say one day at a time – I’m finding that sometime its one minute at a time. Ya never know when it’s going to hit you.

So hubby and I were sitting at the kitchen table a few days after we lost Flash, still crying beating ourselves up with all the what if’s you can ask yourself. Now, I know in my head with Dr. Allen by our side every step of the way there is nothing we could have done. But it’s the heart that gets you every time.

Anyway, back to the point of this posting. We’re sitting at the table and hubby says, this place isn’t going to be ok again till we have the thumping of little feet running around. So I tell him, come here – let me show you something – I’m not sure if she’s still available or not because when Flash took such a turn for the worse I wasn’t really paying much attention anymore to their status, but I can send a message to see. Sure enough she is available. Which brings me directly to the point of this posting.

We’ve been adopted by one of the puppy’s that were born when my Flasher got sick. One that we’ve all been watching each step with the beautiful photos that have been posted. I know it sounds funny to some – but I believe Flash brought me to this site and to the puppy. When asked what would we do if we lost one of our girls – we’ve always said, if it were Lucy we would get another rescue, if it were Flash it would be one from a breeder. I’ve “never” taken step one to research a breeder because the obvious reason I couldn’t stand the thought of losing my Flash, much less spending time researching what’s going to come when she is no longer. Unthinkable!!!! I’ve been on computers since the 80/86’s and on the internet since its been – I’ve never shared such a personal journey or anything else with anyone but family and friends eye to eye – I just know in my heart that Flash knew momma wouldn’t know what to do if she didn’t have a little one to nurture and love when she left me and brought me here.

So Saturday we filled the car with Lucy and Rickie and headed to Ohio to meet our new family member half way. I keep saying I should have named her distraction because that’s what she is. She’s fun to watch explore the new world around her, she’s great at spooning, cut as a button and best she doesn’t look like my Flasher – she comes to me as her own little hound dog that will find her own spot in my heart to fill up. And just maybe sooner than later, I wouldn’t have tears falling down my face for her to wash off.

So many of you have been as invested in Flash as I at the end and thought I owed you the respect to not dissolve, but work through my pain by coming back on this site. I’m not at a place to say I’m ok – but with baby steps moving forward. I also wanted to say thank you again for sharing my journey with Flash and ask if you can come on a new one with me when I introduce our new baby. I’m sure the first posting about our new baby will not be an easy one by the tears I’m shedding with this one – but I know I need to start a new memory here that brings joy and not tears.

I pray that Flash is running the fields with all my love ones I’ve lost and eating all the cookies she can – also for all the sick hound dogs out there and for their love ones to have the strength to deal with what needs to be done or if the unthinkable should happen the loss.

Jen~

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh Jen, I am so happy for you and your family. You will never replace Flash but this little puppy can help fill that void left by her. I followed your journey day by day with Flash feeling for you. Never knowing that my Rusty was filled with cancer. I am so sad that he is not well. I too wonder what could I have done different. His symptoms were vague and off & on. I know I couldn't have done much to stop this cancer. I do know that I am grateful he has no idea he is sick and feels good. Still eating, wagging, playing. Nothing out of the ordinary. I pray that continues for awhile.

I believe your girl is looking down on you and your family happy that a new member will be joining it. I too believe she lead you to this pup. I am anxiously awaiting some pictures!:D:D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't think it's funny or even a coincidence that you were brought to that site and that puppy. I think it was Flash letting you know that she wasn't going to make it, and she didn't want you to mourn over her too long and knew you needed a little one to take care of to help ease the loss. The puppy isn't replacing Flash or her memories, just helping to fill an emptiness.

You will still have moments of pain and loss concerning Flash, (I was looking at pictures of my last dog I lost 2 years ago this month to cancer, and I started crying), and it's perfectly normal. Don't suppress it, but for every sadness don't forget about the good times and fun you had with Flash.

I know how hard it was to share as you did, and I am sad and glad you did. And yes, I truly believe that Flash is running the fields with all the other houndies that have gone before, with occasional cookie breaks.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Geez, I have never been a very emotional person, but gosh darnit if this whole journey you have shared with us doesn't just get me every time LOL.

I am soo glad that you have decided to open your heart for another precious basset. I look forward to experiencing this new journey with you all! Can't wait to hear her name and see many pictures!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
What beautiful words, Jen. Anyone who has lost a dog, or ever loved one, can feel your pain. I know I can. What Flash has given you is a healing puppy. Molly is mine and I didn't feel like I could go on until she came into my life. As I always say, it's not a replacement, just a new friend.

I, too, cannot wait to share this new journey with you.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have gone into deep depressions after the loss of a basset. I was actually afraid to get a new one this time, but my husband said that we were committed to having one for the rest of our lives, and if something happens, we will get a new puppy. It's hard to be depressed with a puppy in the house.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
So excited for you, Jen!

And thanks for letting us in on your difficult and heartwrenching journey. We would have never gotten to know this wonderful dog Flash and how much she was loved, otherwise. and we look forward to learning about the new pup in your life.

When i started going to evening playgroup, I met a woman who lost her basset hound, so i was her healing pup. She said i made everything better and she looked forward to seeing me every night. and sadly, 2 of the dogs i played with already went to the Bridge. Dogs just don't live long enough, that's for sure.

please keep us posted, and lots of pics!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So glad you got a pup. Wonderful tribute to Flash's memory and all she meant to you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How exciting, Jen! I'm so happy you were able to find a puppy! She won't replace your sweet Flash but will help to heal your heart. Can't wait to hear stories of your new baby and to see pictures!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good for you!

It's been a week since Francis passed away and my pain is still almost unbearable but I know that, like you, I'll eventually find the courage and heart and start peeking at the basset rescue websites.
Congratulations on your new little puppy and best of good health to her.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Beverly Anne, I was just thinking about you last night. Wondering how you were holding up. Be strong...you'll get to a better point where you won't hurt so much.

Molly and Winston send sloppy kisses...they heal pain, believe me!

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m sooooo sorry Beverly Anne about Francis. Yesterday was two weeks for me so I’m sorry I’m still in too much shock myself to know what to say. It wasn’t my idea either to get another pup – more my husbands and funny as it sounds I believe Flash’s idea to keep me so busy I wasn’t sitting around crying all day as I was before this pup came into our life.

I do know when people use to ask us what we would do we always said we would get another – so I think maybe just maybe – if you knew you were going to bring another into your home before you lost Francis it might help to look at all the little ones out there that are so in need of a loving home. One of the best things someone said to me when I lost Flash that’s helped a lot is – every time you kiss one of your other fur babies – give them an extra one and say “This one is for you Flash”. I’ve found two things to be true and comforting about it. One, my two hounds are getting lots more kisses and two; I’m still loving Flash everyday – all throughout the day. I know it’s not the same thing, but I’ll take what I can get to keep her in my life because without her – it’s just too painful to even think about.

Big, big, big {{{{{hug}}}}} being sent to you – and if you ever need anything please let me know.

Jen~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts