Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We woke up and our house was gone! The world had turned cold and white.

Sweet Georgia was not dismayed. She climbed to the top of a drift to check everything out.

Ginger was going through the tunnels of snow, but then didn't know which way to turn!

Georgia remained undaunted. She kept her nose to the ground and found the right path.

Finally Daddy plowed some of the road and we could all go for a romp. Hurrah for the snow!! We LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Great pics. Those tunnels look like a lot of fun. I'm sure the dogs had a blast. How many dogs do you have? I counted 6 in the last picture.

~Heather

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow! I love the pics. Especially the last, you can really appreciate all the snow you had in that one. Beautiful hounds! Like Heather said "how many"?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, we had a beautiful snowfall and it has lasted an incredibly long time.

All together we hae 9 dogs and I'll never get them all in the same picture! 6 bassets and 3 non-houndies.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Finally, someone else with snow. Isn't nice to have hounds that like the snow?
Our snow started to melt, but it's starting to snow again today, and it won't be above 10F until next Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Looks like fun for the dogs! I personally hate snow & cold, but Spencer likes to play in the snow, so I am hoping for some for him. Our temps have finally become seasonal, but all we are getting now is rain!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wow! 9 dogs; you must have a lot of space (both in your heart and literally a lot of space). Our temperatures just this week began actually feeling like winter. I wish we would get some snow (Monday through Friday so there is no school ;) - snow on the weekends doesn't do us teachers any good :) )

~Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dozer-Digger - we are thrilled that are dogs all like the snow so much. Are big probelm is getting them in the house before dark so we don't have to go hunting in drifts for them! I do confess that we had some "evil" thoughts about Dencer (sorry, I don't know exactly where you are) during the storm because Denver got all the coverage while we were getting buried in beautiful white stuff. Alas, everyone forgets about New Mexico!

Watching the houdnies in the snow is such fun! The tunnel and dig and fall in soft spots. But I think there are so many scents that they just don't know which way to go first. I wouldn't want this year round, but it sure is nice on occassion.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I do confess that we had some "evil" thoughts about Denver (sorry, I don't know exactly where you are) during the storm because Denver got all the coverage while we were getting buried in beautiful white stuff. Alas, everyone forgets about New Mexico![/b]
I'm 60 miles northeast of Denver (only about 40 from the airport). They got (and you got) alot more snow than we got out here. I was getting sick of all the reports about Denver too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My daughter visited New Mexico one early spring and she said the weather was nice... not coat weather and not hot. I didn't realize that New Mexico GOT snow! :blink: And I assumed that Colorado got nothing BUT snow! (Is Colorado ALL mountains?)

Sometimes it's difficult to imagine how large other states really are. :eek: Our state (RI) is so small that you can drive across it in a little over an hour (and that's using a round-a-bout route that skirts Narragansett Bay). :lol:

·
Registered
511 Posts
And I assumed that Colorado got nothing BUT snow! (Is Colorado ALL mountains?)

Sometimes it's difficult to imagine how large other states really are. :eek: Our state (RI) is so small that you can drive across it in a little over an hour (and that's using a round-a-bout route that skirts Narragansett Bay). :lol:[/b]
Looking at a road map, the mountains are west of I-25. It is fairly flat east of I-25. Most of the snow happens in the mountains, but with this last storm, it came across New Mexico, and caused an upslope storm. It circles the snow from the south, and up against the mountains on the east side, dumping all the snow in Denver.
Now some fun facts to compare Colorado to Rhode Island.
Highest elevations:
RI - Jerimoth Hill 812 feet
CO- Mount Elbert 14,443 feet (one of 54 peaks above 14,000 ft)
Lowest elevation:
RI- I assume sea level :lol:
CO- Arkansas River at Kansas border 3,315 feet
Land area:
RI- 1545 sq miles
CO- 104,100 sq miles (Morgan county where I live in is 676 sq miles & our largest county, Weld is about 2800 sq miles)
Although they don't list the Basset population, for more info go to
http://www.netstate.com/states/geography/co_geography.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts