Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snoopy was spayed on Friday. She she's just slept all weekend. she ate one can of special dog food on saturday which the vets supplied. she hasnt eaten or drank for 3.5 days other than one meal and a few treats.

boyfriend took her to the vets this morning (Monday). He said she's constantly sleeping because she's in pain.

He gave her two painkiller shots, took her temperature and suggested not to try to feed or treat her until this evening and then for tea and to give her some chicken and rice insted of her usual food.

can anyone tell me how long it is for them to recover from such a major operation? will she be ok by boxing day when we plan to go on a long walk along the beach with her old litter mates and mother and other family basset members?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Their activity levels are usually reduced for a few days after the surgery. If she's not improving shortly, another trip to the vet would be a good idea. Also, doublecheck with your vet about the planned hike along the beach.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Poor, poor Snoopy. Please keep us updated about how she feels. Daisy Mae is going in on Wednesday to be spayed and I'm really nervous. She's not our first dog and its not the first time we have a dog spayed/neutered, but it is the first time that I'm this close to a dog. I told everyone for Christmas I got the dog an operation and the kids are getting dentist appointments (appointments are on the 27th). :lol: Let us know about Snoopy.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
can anyone tell me how long it is for them to recover from such a major operation? will she be ok by boxing day when we plan to go on a long walk along the beach with her old litter mates and mother and other family basset members?

Thanks
[/b]
Mine(females) except for one who developed a bit of an infection at the incission were back to there old selves the next day. It is much more taumatic surgery for females than males however.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys

thanks for the replies.

well she slept all day and night again yesterday. but she did wake for some chicken and rice last night and she managed a piece of cheese this morning although she did refuse it at first :eek:

she has another check up today at 3pm. so we'll see what the vet says then. she's still not right this morning bless her.

will keep you posted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she's woke up this morning bouncing about the place for the first time in a week. im so happy. she really had us worried.

its taken her exactly a week to get over it. she's still sleeping for England but she's started to eat and drink two days ago. She even asked me to play fetch with her this morning which I’m SO please about. the operation really 'knocked her for six' i hope she never has to be operated on EVER again.

looks like she's really going to enjoy Christmas now :) :) :)

Thank you for your concern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts