Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lollypop has been sneezing a lot the past few days and I noticed that her ears seem heavier than normal and feel swollen, although I cannot tell with the naked eye. Is it possible she is allergic to tree pollen? I see people use benadryl fairly regularly with their pups. Should I panic and run to the vet? or wait a few days to see whether the symptoms abate a bit? She seems OK behavior wise, but I admit I'm worried. Lollypop is just over 11 months old, so this is her first spring and her first exposure to spring pollen(s). Any advice?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
As far as benadryl, I know lots of people use it, but Murray had a bad reaction to it- got super hyper and anxious after taking it. The vet perscribed something else for him that he tolerated.

If she were mine, I think I'd at least call the vet and see what he thinks. If she's prone to allergies, you might start seeing other symptoms like scratching and biting at herself.

It seems like lots of bassets suffer from allergies- here's a link to a recent thread about allergies: http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/12415-itching.html

You can do your own search using the search option- type in a topic word and threads will come up that might help you.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swollen ears and sneezing

Thanks everyone for your responses! Lollypop appears to be feeling better. Her ears have almost returned to normal, but are still a little on the heavier side. She continues to sneeze, and I suspect it is the spring pollen. She does NOT appear to be scratching however. She had been in VT over the weekend and it's possible her swollen ears were the result of a bug bite or maybe a bee sting. It may be that her sneezing and her swollen ears are unrelated, but I suspect not. I gave her half a benadryl tablet this afternoon and it seemed to stem some of the sneezing. If her symptoms get worse, off to the vet we go. I'm amazed at how emotional my wife and I become when she is not feeling well! She is SO sweet, and I hate to see her suffer in the least!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts