Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I came home from working on Sunday and the first thing I saw was my boy Sabian with an orange muzzle. Then I look down and saw an empty pan (that had been in the refrigerator) on the floor. Oh no! I raced into the kitchen and there was my refrigerator with the door wide open! All that was left inside was Diet Caffiene Free Coke, Sprite, a gallon of milk, apple juice and a large jar of pickles! I quickly inventoried all thet was in the fridge. They had eaten lasagna (3/4 of a 9x13 pan), about 1/2 gallon of chili, 2 loaves of bread, 2 packages of cheese (each piece individually wrapped), a package of roast beef, tomatoes, mixed vegetables and 2 left over cheese burgers.

I found Pearly who was hiding from me and she seemed OK. Someone had vomited a froathy liquid that had 1 cheese wrapper in it. I called the ER vet and gave them each 2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. That was a challenge! Both vomited a small amount but no plastic. They did not want to see them but suggested I call my vet in the AM.

This morning they seemed ok but still no plastic in their morning deposits. I have an appointment for them with my vet this afternoon. I have seen Sabian "nudging" the refrigerator door after I had put food away but I never dreamed he would open it! Life with bassets.... the adventure continues.......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
OH, NO!!! I do hope your Bassets will be OK. They had quiet the feast. Do keep us posted on how they are and hopefully all the plastic will pass through quickly and they won't get to sick from there refigerator caper.
This morning when I did poop detail in the yard I found Bogie had ingested a cheese wrapper, a piece of scotch tape, and a whole kleenex. Each poop pile had a surprise attached. So off to the waste baskets I went and found he had gotten into the one in the study. A first for him to get into the cans. Bassets are so full of surprises at times.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess it's wrong to be laughing, but I am.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What a goldmine! I bet they thought they really hit the jackpot this time! Wow!

I hope they're OK- please let us know-

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I;ll bet they were so VERY proud of themselves! Until they had to take the hydrogen peroxide.

Hope by now they are back to normal.

Several of our dogs have figured out how to open the fridge. We bungie it shut just to make sure. The day they figure out how to get the bungie off is the day I'll give up and let them do what they will!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I sincerely hope they are okay (because then I won't feel guilty for finding your post more than a little amusing. :eek: )

It just seemed so very like a Basset!! So clever! So naughty! So gluttonous!!!!

Please let us know how you make out...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hounds are fine so far. The vet said you can't really feel their stomachs because the stomach is located under the rib cage but when the stomach is full the spleen is easily palpable and he could easily feel the spleen in both hounds. He did say Pearly was more full than Sabe.... go figure! He also said hounds don't get pancreatitis as easily as some other breeds but still is a posibility. The next 2 days is when a problem could arise. Need to watch for plastic, diarrhea and vomiting. If they vomit I need to take them in right away. No food until tonight. He said, "They look like they will survive if they miss a meal!". Then Sabian promptly belched in his face! I now have 2 velcro straps on the fridge. As I said the adventure continues!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm glad they're good so far. :) Just think, when the worrying is all over and you know they're okay, you're going to look back on all this and laugh. :lol: You'll get years of entertainment value from this one story alone. Someday they'll be a lot less mischevious and you're going to miss thier crazy and naughty antics. Really!

I do...

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
"I have seen Sabian "nudging" the refrigerator door after I had put food away but I never dreamed he would open "

Both of my two can an will open the Freezer (freezer is on the bottom]

Home Depot and most likely many other have plastic seat belt like latches you can attach to the door. The work great provided you latch then every time. Because it is a highly rewarding and on a varilable reinfocement schedule ( not every time they try to open the door can they) it does tend to become a strong habit if you occasional forget to lock the door.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are fine. Yesterday they both had normal bowel movements. Pearly did pass some plastic without any trouble. As long as they continue to have normal bowl movements and no vomiting things should be ok. Thank you for asking about my babies.

At work I am known as "that woman who is crazy about her dogs". My co-workers thought this was a real hoot. I am afraid Sabian and Pearl have besmearched the basset reputation at my work!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Hope they'll get away from the adventure without troubles! :blink:

I've heard of several bassets able to open the fridge door,
thanksfully - mine are none of them! :p

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts