Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a 4 year old basset 2 months ago and she snaps and growls at children and at us when we try and remove her off our bed mostly ! Otherwise she is a friendly happy hound, at first she was diagnosed with a severe uti so I put it down to this but she has been treated and still snapped tonight when my partner told her to get off the bed :-( does anyone have any training tips for this behaviour?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
848 Posts
Joey does this too if he gets into our bedroom. We keep the door closed most of the time but if he does get up on the bed we bribe him down with toys, chews etc. if I try to physically move him he will growl so I think bribing is the best option.
Our problem is that we used to let Jo up on our bed but it got to the stage of him thinking it was his bed so we put a stop to it. X

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
sophie, who is as sweet and gentle as can be, is a major grump-a-saurus when we try to move her when she's comfortable on the sofa, her pillow, etc..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem is if I shut the door she won't settle cries and scratches constantly, and she snapped at my god daughter too :-( I would like to know if there is anything that will help with the snapping? I want to get her spayed (we have had issues with uti and she gets worse in heat) but I have read that it can make aggression worse not better ? Has anyone found spaying helping or making it worse?

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
you need to teach her off so you do not have to physically move her here is a youtube series on teaching off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts