Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get my first basset hound on saturday.I can't wait to get him... Have puppy proofed my house and now all is left to do is wait ..ughh the waiting is just killing me.. I saw a man with his basset walking yesterday and he had her off leash and she just kept following him i was shocked lol i thought you couldnt have them off leash. Is there any help tips you can give me for when i bring him home?

·
Registered
761 Posts
How exciting?! To double-check your puppy proofing, get on your hands and knees, heck, get on your stomach and look under everything. You might find some hanging cords you didn't notice from your human height. Just to make double sure.

Another thing, just be patient and take your time introducing your pup to new things. If you have kids have them sit silently (if they're able) and let the puppy come to them. Just give your pup time to explore in his own time.

Good luck with everything! And please post pictures!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Another good way of making sure your house (or the areas the puppy will be allowed to visit) is puppy-proofed is to identify anything that is of any sentimental value or a retail value of $100 or more, take it outside, put it all in pile, and set it on fire. Might as well throw in all remotes, shoes and gloves for good measure. That way you get it all over with at once, instead of in dribs and drabs. Enjoy your new puppy!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Another good way of making sure your house (or the areas the puppy will be allowed to visit) is puppy-proofed is to identify anything that is of any sentimental value or a retail value of $100 or more, take it outside, put it all in pile, and set it on fire. Might as well throw in all remotes, shoes and gloves for good measure. That way you get it all over with at once, instead of in dribs and drabs. Enjoy your new puppy!
AAAAAAAAhahahahahahahhahahaha...truer words were never typed. Awesome.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
he had her off leash and she just kept following him i was shocked lol i thought you couldnt have them off leash
the problem with sweeping generalization especial when utter about a breed that the individual knows nothing about., First basset are very close hunter even for the class of subosedly similar style hunters like beagle, basset work much closer and wander less distance form the owner/handler frequently check in and move as the human mover rather than expecting the humans to follow them as is often the case with beagles.

Can a basset follow a scent never to be seen again, depends on the scent. The game of choice for basset to hunt are rabbit and hare, which tend to circle again not wandering that far from the area off game like foxes deer coyote etc that basset should not be hunting then to go for mile on end often in a fairly striaght line so it depends on the dog, the training, such a recall (come) under highky distracting circumstances, The inheirint dangeriousness of the area close to a road etc.

So can a basset be off leash certainly but like anything there is no such thing as a completely safe activity. there are risks involved in anything and the degree those risk occur is highely dependant on the individual dog.

Hen I lived in cranberry country I routinely walked through the bog and county side behind my house with toughy see avatar off leash but would not ever consider doing so with my harrier or beagle. I can not recall a basset I have owned that I was not comfortable with under the right circumstances being off lead in a non-enclosed area., That is not true for some beagles and the harrier I have owned.

Fielld trial video will give you the sense of how basset actually work

As many a old time hound hunter will say if you go out in the woods with a basset and the basset gets loss, cant find you etc, well you didn't want that dog anyway. Callus sure but it speaks to the point of a dog being able to do the job that it was bred to do.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've had some that could be off leash, and some I wouldn't trust off leash no matter what. Each dog is different. I've never had a basset before that didn't bark, and didn't like riding in the car, like the one I have now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congratulations and how exciting...can't wait to see Picts of Smuttly...

We brought Woody Hayes home (he's 8 months now) he walked right over to his food dish, laid his head inside and wimpered and nibbled on his food and ears....he adjusted to the new surroundings very quickly....and has become quite the spoiled little prince of the place.....

As you will see here, there are quite a few similarities btw all Bassets but each one has it's own personality...

Enjoy and here's to many many happy basset years..

Kristi (mom to Woody Hayes)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all,Im just so happy to bring him home im like a kid waiting for x-mas lol..I just rescued a 5 month old doberman pinscher puppy so smuttley is going to have a friend..Im a little worried about rasing two puppies lol. Zeus is 5months lol but fully trained

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm raising 2 puppies now. It's chaos and a lot of work...they're very high energy together. But they have such a special bond that makes it all worth it.

Congratulations on your 2 new puppies! I hope you have many joy-filled years with them. Post pics when he comes home...of both the pups :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts