Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to take one of the girlz to the pet store. It is too much to attempt to take both, so I just chose one. Bessi went on the last adventure to a friends house, so it was Smili's turn. She had a great time walking around the store sniffing all of the other dogs and getting a lot of attention from the staff and customers. One person did think that she was a beagle though.....

Everything went so well that I thought that I could just slip into TJ Maxx next door for a minute. I brought a throw blanket to put down inside a shopping cart (I did not think that they would want her walking around like she did at the pet store). She did real well. No barking and she seemed to be enjoying herself. I had a hand on her leash for most of the time....Most of the time being the mistake! She was so quiet, just enjoying the ride. I took the attached pic when we were in the store.

I left TJ Max and was pushing the cart on the sidewalk back to the pet store, when all of a sudden she jumped out of the cart with no warning at all! It was a pretty significant jump. I would say she had to be at least 3 1/2 ft from the ground. She hit the ground, tumbled a little, and just started trotting away toward the pet store. I ran after her and picked her up, rubbing her legs, back and chest.

She does not seem to have any ill effects from the jump. I think that I was really lucky as she could have been serioulsy hurt.

No more shopping cart trips for them!!

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Holy crap! Smili's a daredevil!! PB rides in carts all the time & has NEVER even attempted to jump out. She does get a little antsy if it's a bumpy rattling ride but wow I can't believe how brave Smili was!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I had a pup jump out of a cart once and land on his chin. He seemed fine, but I took him to the canine chiropractor when I brought one of my other dogs in, and he was pretty out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I envy all of you guys. We don't have any place at all to take our dogs...not even a dog park....much less any stores that would welcome them. Now that I think about it, don't even have sidewalks....;) Guess it's a trade-off...have alot of trails, critters to smell and the tourists throw out enough garbage on the ground to make any basset think he's in heaven.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I envy all of you guys. We don't have any place at all to take our dogs...not even a dog park....much less any stores that would welcome them. Now that I think about it, don't even have sidewalks....;) Guess it's a trade-off...have alot of trails, critters to smell and the tourists throw out enough garbage on the ground to make any basset think he's in heaven.
Wow, you must be pretty far up north! My great grandfather founded a small town way the heck up there in Northern MI. Have never been there, but from the town website, it looks like the town has not changed from the 1950's

·
Registered
608 Posts
Good Grief how frightening that must have been. These bassets can be so determined to get what they want. Hope she is o.k. Brilliant though that you can take them into shops.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad she is OK must have given you quite the scare. You are lucky you can take her into stores even the home depot around here does not allow dogs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In South Florida, it is very common to see dogs in stores. Usually not the mall though. Many older folk carry their little dogs in the cart, purse, etc. It is uncommon to see larger dogs in the stores other than the pet store.

Smili and I were being sneaky at TJ Maxx. They were understaffed and it was a busy Sunday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts