Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My Bassett puppy Logan is 11 weeks old and has an awful smell coming from his little ears! Do I need to call his vet or is this normal? Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
smelly ear = ear infection

smell like racid oil/Corn chips generally yeast
Dead fish Bacteria

Best to see a vet to get the optimal treatment. All long ear breeds need more regular ear cleaning than other breeds because the ear flap reduces air volume reaching the ear canal and creates a more ideal place for microbes to grow. Cleaning the ears with antimicrobials and dryers makes the ear canal less hospitable

Most first time owner and even some long time owner do not know how to properly clean ears

https://www.banfield.com/pet-healthcare/additional-resources/article-library/everyday-care/do-i-need-to-clean-my-dog-s-ears

Personally I prefer pads to cotton balls . Also I find most dogs object less if you warm the solution to the dogs body temperature 100-102 before use

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Many Basset people are now of the opinion that it's better to flush the ears ie fill them with cleaner, rub it around and let them shake it out, rather than use a wipe and possibly push the dirt further down.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
so far we do well with baby wipes but have to admit it is much easier than the probably better cleanser squirts...... (less basset push back)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts