Basset Hounds Forum banner

smelly dog

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mikey T 
#1 ·
Hello,
This is my first post at this cool site. :D

My basset, Kirby, will be 9 years old in June. As he is getting older, he is starting to smell bad. He has bad BO.

I give him a bath every 2 weeks with shampoo from the vet. I also get his anal glands expressed every month.

Is it common for Bassets to smell bad? Is there anything else I can do?

#2 ·
You could try giving him a vinegar rinse after his bath, that is sometimes helpful. Don't rinse it off, just let it dry. I've also heard of using a Listerine rinse, but I find it doesn't leave the coat as nice.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Soundtrack:
You could try giving him a vinegar rinse after his bath, that is sometimes helpful.  Don't rinse it off, just let it dry.  I've also heard of using a Listerine rinse, but I find it doesn't leave the coat as nice.
Ohhh... can you tell me more about this vinegar rinse? Josie doesn't seem to have any skin problems, but she does tend to smell houndy after a couple of weeks. :) We bought some oatmeal shampoo because we heard it was soothing and good for their coat. But the vinegar rinse.. is there a recipe? White vinegar, I assume? Full strength or diluted? Towel dry after okay?

[ July 12, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: autumn kisses ]

#5 ·
I dont know if you found a solution yet or not but I had a sharpei(Abbie) that had a smelly problem. They are known for skin disorders and from the time she was a pup I gave her garlic tabs you can buy at any pet store or even wallmart. This helped promote healthy skin and coat but everyone, friends and family soon realized if I ran out of these vitamins she would start to smell. These things worked great straight thru to old age!Good luck

#6 ·
Many hounds suffer from a condition know as seborrhea"Primary seborrhea is most commonly seen in the American cocker spaniel, West Highland white terrier, English springer spaniel, and Basset hound"

The smell associated with Seborrhea is often referred to as rancid oil or as "fritoes". This is casue by a secondary yeast infection "Malassezia dermatitis"

Vinegar is a natural antifungal agent. Others have had success with "selsun Blue" or other shampoo specifical formulated for Seborrhea and/or Malassezia dermatitis. While it is often stated overbathing can lead to dry skin and other dermilogical conditions in the case of seborrhea frequent "shampoo Therapy" is called for.

What is Shampoo Therapy

Malassezia Dermatitis (MD) Protocol

Malassezia (yeast) dermatitis in Dogs

Malassezia Dermatitis

Malassezia spp.

Malassezia Dermatitis (Yeast Infection of the Skin)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.