Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems no matter how much we bathe our "Zack",we cant get rid of the "doggy odor".We usually bathe both of our dogs at the same time but Zack seems to need another one a couple of days later.Can anyone offer some advice on containing or prolonging that just bathed odor?Weve tried sprays too,along with cleaning his bed regularly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Sadeyes2.Very informative forums.Strong Frito smell is a terrific description of the odor.I will continue to read those archive forums for my info...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've read some of the other threads about odor. Is the Frito smell generally what people are talking about when they describe a houndy smell?

My Daisy has a noticeable Frito smell to her feet, but her body doesn't really have much of a smell at all.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
My Daisy has a noticeable Frito smell to her feet, but her body doesn't really have much of a smell at all.
I general think it is true but the frito smell is general associated with mild yeast infection and therfore can not turely be considered a "houndy smell" even though because of their generally oiler coat hounds are more prone to these type of infections. In general these infections are kept somewhat under control by the dogs immune system so it really does not bother them. If you notice the dog licking it feet more it is likely the infection is a bit more active and starting to itch. They can be controled by controlling the underling condition that causes the infection in hounds often allergies or Seborrhea. and the use of anti-microbial anti-fungal shampoos keep in mind these shampoos must remain in contact with the skin and infection a minimium of fifteen minutes. The use of these type shampoos or in the case of dogs with seborrhea ( most distinguish symptom is dandruff) anti-sheborrheic shampoos will decrease the yeast population and increase the longevity of the clean dog smell.

Yeat infection of the Skin

The following breeds are predisposed genetically to yeast infections: the West Highland White Terrier, Basset hound, Cocker spaniel, Silky terrier, Australian terrier, Maltese, Chihuahua, Poodle, Shetland sheepdog, Lhasa apso, and the Dachshund.

Shampoos: While degreasing shampoos such as the benzoyl peroxide (Oxydex®, Pyoben®) and sulfur/salicylate (Sebolyt®, Sebolux®) shampoos will help remove the skin oils feeding the yeast, there are shampoos that are specifically anti-yeast. We prefer the 4% chlorhexidine shampoo called Chlorhexiderm Max® or Malaseb® shampoo as these both strip skin oil and kills yeast; however, other anti-yeast products include Selsun Blue®, Miconazole® shampoo, Nizoral® shampoo, Douxo® shampoo and more. The pet must be bathed twice a week to start and the shampoo requires a 15 minute contact time (meaning do not rinse the lather for 15 minutes).
One note is selsum blue is also anti-seborrheaic as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Mikey T, the selsum blue you mentioned is the human shampoo right? I was told human shampoos are not good for dogs, but you seem to have a lot of experience with bassets. Should I dilute the selsum blue if I bath my dog with it? I am currently using an oatmeal based shampoo for my dog once a week.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Mikey T, the selsum blue you mentioned is the human shampoo right? I was told human shampoos are not good for dogs, but you seem to have a lot of experience with bassets. Should I dilute the selsum blue if I bath my dog with it? I am currently using an oatmeal based shampoo for my dog once a week.
No need to dilute, I've used it full strength on my girls. You need to lather up well and let it remain on the skin for ~15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm mistaken. (He has excellent advice!)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

Dilut with water Hmm is that not what you do whe you shampoo the dog in the first place? The problem with human products is that human have a lower skin ph than dogs. The irratation occurs not durring the brief period of the shampooing but rather from the prolonged contact when not adequitly rinsed. A good rule of the is rinsing should take longer than the shampooing, and.or continue to rinse for ~ 5 minutes after no more suds are removed by rinsing. This by the way is general a beter moisturising technique then the add on products aplied topically.

also of note not all selsun bule products are the same you want on the contains 1% selenium disulfide not all of them do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I general think it is true but the frito smell is general associated with mild yeast infection and therfore can not turely be considered a "houndy smell" even though because of their generally oiler coat hounds are more prone to these type of infections. In general these infections are kept somewhat under control by the dogs immune system so it really does not bother them. If you notice the dog licking it feet more it is likely the infection is a bit more active and starting to itch. They can be controled by controlling the underling condition that causes the infection in hounds often allergies or Seborrhea. and the use of anti-microbial anti-fungal shampoos keep in mind these shampoos must remain in contact with the skin and infection a minimium of fifteen minutes. The use of these type shampoos or in the case of dogs with seborrhea ( most distinguish symptom is dandruff) anti-sheborrheic shampoos will decrease the yeast population and increase the longevity of the clean dog smell.
She does lick her feet on occasion, but not a lot. I don't see her do it every day.

I'll buy some Selsun Blue and give that a try next time she gets a bath.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
rather than a full bath since it is only the feet you may want to consider some of the medicated puppy wipes on the market or make your own, Malcacetic wipes for instance are simply distilled white vinegar and boric acid (ie eye wash) These are antimicrobial agents that are general effective on yeast and less work than a full bath would be

1 - 10 of 10 Posts