Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our male basset puppy on various growth charts is predicted to be between 29-32 pounds. We honestly don't mind the small stature, but are there any reasons this should concern us? He is very healthy otherwise (though did already have a UTI - vet stated this wasn't too uncommon with puppies though, especially since they are so close to the ground and more easily get their bits dirty, and he seems to have recovered well). Is this perhaps a result of poor'ish breeding? I met the parents, and no way were they only 30 pounds, not huge, but not 30 pounds. I get that what matters most is that he is healthy, but 20 pounds short of the breed average seems pretty low.

Per the more conservative advice, we are going to hold off neutering until he is 18-24 months - has anyone actually experienced/witnessed any actual physical concerns from earlier neutering, though? Seems to be many studies saying to wait for "large breed" dogs, and then many studies debunking that advice. Because we travel, go to (a well vetted and we are happy there) daycare, will be attending group trainings, and interact with other dogs frequently, I would honestly prefer to neuter earlier if we can safely do so. So far we plan to wait, but I am open to some neuter now vs neuter later advice. (Yes, I see that there are other threads about it, but some are rather dated - what is the science saying today?)

I added the quotation marks because ours seems to perhaps be the smallest Basset ever :D

Thank you in advance! We are very excited to have - and very much in love with - our first Basset!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
science to date on nuetering males is overall for health they are better off for health, Longevity still goes with neutering because of wandering off. but imho that more has to do with how unneuter males are more likely to be owned by absentee neglectiful owners in this country so a lot of the so called benefits of nuetering ie increased infectious disease and being hit by cars speak more to who tends to have intact males vs benefits of neutering.

"On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases. "

think the charts you are using are likely off when it comes to adult size

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually one of the charts I used :) I am going to weigh him again today.

I'll take a look at the other information you shared, thank you!

·
Registered
12,992 Posts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts