Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People always say that small children and puppies do not mix well. Man, were they right. LOL. Gwenny is going through her adolescence phase and is constantly trying to become dominant/challenge my one year old. I guess because he is too young to discipline her. I have to constantly teach her not to take away toys from his hands and knock him down. Whew!!!! I am trying my best, but it is rough, LOL. I know that there will come a day where she will learn but...
Just wanted to put it out there that if you have small children, realize that a puppy will be double the work. Prepare for it!!!!

Anyone have any tips for me (other than the usual)?
Anyone dealing with puppy adolescence?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Gwenny is going through her adolescence phase and is constantly trying to become dominant/challenge my one year old.

I think you are seriously mis-charecterizing their relationship and in so doing may be doing a diservice to the dog. To believe dogs are actual status seeking is a giant leap of faith. What they will do is what ever they believe is in their best interest.

WHY NOT TAKE CANDY FROM A BABY? (If he lets you!)

I guess because he is too young to discipline her
Has nothing to do with it. It is a specific calculation. What is the dogs perception of a reward(s) for taking an object vs what are the reward for not doing so. This is the part of the equation most often forgetten when training dogs and the most inportant. Reward the behavior you want, but at the same time do not ask more of the dog than it is capable of giving.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is actually what led me to have my mutt. He was my sister's dog and she became pregnant with her first son. We had all seen how he behaves around children so I offered to take him off her hands. It was the best thing for everyone since I had just graduated college and wanted to adopt a dog, and she can still visit him whenever she wants. Also, he lived with me the first 2 years or so of his life while I lived with my parents and my sister was living in a dorm so he already knew me.

He hates children. I have to keep him separated from kids in public and not let them pet him as he tenses up and growls at them. He shows the same behavior to stranger dogs. He has never done this to an adult.

It doesn't sound like your dog is doing anything aggressive, which is good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey- I do train her properly and I know to reward good behavior, which is what I do. Saying she is trying to be "Dominant" over my one year old is really an easier way to say that they are both battling for my attention. It was kind of meant to be in a half joking manner. The definition of Discipline means "to teach"...so I am not saying that I "punish" her. My one year old, isn't capable of "teaching" her the way my six year old is.

Gwenny isn't aggressive at all, she is a great dog and I think I am doing a great job raising her. Still, there will always be challenges and rough times which will drive me crazy. Having kids makes it all that much harder.

Kirska-It seems like everyone lucked out in your situation. It is important for dogs to be with the right families!

·
Registered
761 Posts
My in-laws live across from an elementary school and we were down there visiting them this past week. Often while we were walking Doppler and Virga, the kids would scream about the little wienie dogs. Virga was great with the kids. She'd lay down and let them rub her tummy through the fence. Didn't matter how many kids there were. But Doppler can only handle about two kids at a time. The third kid that comes up to him makes him nervous and then he starts barking and his ruff comes up. We usually move on then. I started taking him across the street from the school when they were out on the playground. He likes to watch them but not be crowded I guess is a good way to say it. Is there something more I can do? I try and tell the kids to calm down and let him sniff their hands so they can pet him but they, being kids, don't listen too well. So we end up walking on. I seriously doubt he'd bite any of the kids. He just wants to get away which is what we do. But is there anything else I can do to make him less nervous around screaming kids?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts