Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a food question for the dietary experts on our board:

Most of you know Moe is a Basset and Tally is a Dachshund. Tally is a VERY porky Dachshund who weighs a whopping twenty-three pounds (seventeen to eighteen is her ideal weight - she's a tweenie). We currently feed both dogs Iams Mini Chunks (the only dog food we found that Moe will eat - long story :roll: ). We've decided to try to get Tally's weight down with Pro Plan Small Breed Weight Management Formula. The problem is that Moe and Tally eat out of each other's bowls so I was wondering if there would be any problems with feeding him the small breed diet food? Perhaps I should mix it with his regular food? Or shoould I only give it to Tally and supervise their mealtime? They are both seven years old, and our vet says that Moe is perfect at his current weight of seventy-five pounds (down from his beefy eighty-five pounds several years ago). He's had no trouble maintaining his weight the last couple of years and he seems to have lost the urge to devour everything in sight.

Moe gets two cups of dry food with 1/5 of a can of pedigree canned food once a day. Tally gets 3/4 cup of dry with a tablespoon of canned food once a day. For breakfast Moe gets a petite greenie and four small milkbones; Tally gets half of a small milkbone, which she hides in her bed to eat at her leisure. They both share food bowls amiably and Tally sometimes steals Moe's treats and hides them for later, along with her own. :eek: Moe does not protect or guard his food.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or advice?

Terry

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When we had just the 2 dachshunds, we used to free-feed:just left the food down and the dogs regulated themselves. Then we brought Murray home.Hansel panicked and went into some kind of 'food competition mode'- he would rush the food bowls and consume all the dachshund food plus Murray's puppy food. He porked up to 24 pounds from his ideal weight of 17 in about 2 weeks. So, we started feeding all the dogs twice a day in separate locations. Food that was not consumed was removed. By increasing Hansel's walks and controlling his food, he was back in good form in no time!So that would be my suggestion- good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think there was some discussion here before about bassets being regarded as large breed due to their bone structure and density. I would try to supervise mealtimes if at all possible.

But, as usual, there is always someone more informed than me here! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
LOL, from your story, I love Tally already!!!
I met a red daschund at a farmer's market nearby, he was huge, I forgot to ask his weight. But the owner are definately keeping him on a strict diet. His belly is actually touching the floor!! :D
So anyway, this little fella just had his birthday last week 17 years old!! Oh my my.....
He gave me lots of kisses. One of my favorite days.

Oh yeah, I would think it is a good idea to feed Tally and Moe twice a day in a separate room.

[ January 24, 2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Lina ]

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
All the major dog foods even if they are breed specific or type specific still meet standard for all dogs there is just tweeking around the edges that may be slightly more benefitial to one group than anouther but feeding a small dog food to a large dog will not cause harm.

Rheegs the 23lb beagle gets the large breed formula of the others and none the worse for wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts