Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am apart of a small rescue that does really big things when it comes to rescuing bassets. This rescue doesn't advertise or really have a whole lot of social networking. I have been apart of this rescue since my husband brought me "Hope" at the end of November this last year. I contacted several rescues/orginization throughout the night and one got back to me when I was sitting in a vet office trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the thousands of dollars it was going to take to get Hope better.

Gail (vice president of www.4thehounds.org) called me a 7:30 am and told me they would cover everything she needed. What I didn't know at the time was that the orginization was essentially broke. Gail paid for all of Hope's vet bills out of pocket.

The orginization recently picked up 2 more bassets in Oklahoma that have never had any vet care, were heartworm+ and needed a lot of vet care. This rescue is constantly getting calls to come get rescued or unwanted bassets and they always find a way to come through.

Please check out their website and see if there is anthing that you can contribute to help keep this rescue going.

The president of this orginization is an 80 year old woman that has had open heart surgery and still goes to her kennel twice a day to take care of the unwanted or unadoptable dogs. There are several bassets up for adoption as well.

We really need help at this point, with fosters, and angels.. Please check it out and see if there is anything that you can do.

Thank you

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was looking at their page and my Anabelle was called Clarabelle before we adopted her so that case struck home for me. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, looks like a great organization.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really is a great rescue.. Like I siad before.. I started calling and emailing people in the middle of the night when my husband brough Hope home to me.. God.. she looked like walking death to me.. Gail called me at literally when I walked into the vet.. What a Godsend!!
Gail herself is in surgery today as she has many medical problems, and Gladys (the president) is 80 years old and doing this!!

I am really wanting to get the word out now becuase I don't know how much longer this rescue can be sustained without more donations and fosters.. All in all people to be involved with this rescue.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm hoping that once I buy a house I can foster from time to time with a rescue here, but right now my landlord wouldn't be happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a heads up on fostering... It is hard to let go of the ones you help and very well might become permanent..

It can also be hard on your permanent dogs.

It is hard on the soul as well. Hope and the condition that she was in when my husband found her almost destroyed me. Having just moved to this state, I had never seen this type of neglect and abuse of animals as I started to see shortly after I got here.

Hope had literally been left in a backyard when a family moved out and left her. She was headed to go rummage through trash when my husband picked her up and brought her home..

I have fostered bloodhounds as well that came to me so flea and tick covered that I was picking ticks out of their ears for days...

It is not only wearing on the soul, but physically, mentally and emotionally as well... I know that even as bad of a condition that I have seen and fostered some dogs, I know that it can always get worse.. the thought of that day scares me..

I truely hope that you have the strength, patience and love to do this.. I know I have taken in my last foster for a while..

best of luck to you and your future endevors

1 - 5 of 5 Posts