Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abigail is now 8 1/2 months old and is coming into heat, yes, I was hoping to avoid the heat thing, but what just started to happen is slobber. Not just a little slobber, nightly I have to wash her crate bedding and this morning the only dry spot on MY bed was me.

I checked her mouth thinking something maybe stuck in her teeth, nothing. Is this normal for a puppy's first showing of slobber? It is starting to scare me a little.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have never known slobber to be an issue except if they see food or have had a drink.To be as excessive as you say doesn't sound right.If it is something she will be prone to I would have thought it would have been a problem before now.Is it possible she does have a problem in her mouth and you missed it.It may be worth while getting checked.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree with bubbad. If it hasn't been an issue before now then you should probably get her checked out. Neither of mine have been super big slobberers unless they've just had some water or I'm eating something they think is especially yummy. Whines of sympathy from Doppler and Virga. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, when I saw my bed this morning, I got a little freaked. Her Vet suggested Benadryl and if that did not improve her, to take her in. I'll post whatever the results may be. Thanks again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Layla will drool or slobber alot if she has eaten too much food or if she has a large gas bubble in her tummy. But I agree with the others, this isn't something that I've ever heard of going with being in heat. Good luck and we hope she feels better soon.....otherwise you might want to start covering things in tarps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We live in Florida and have been in full Spring for a couple of weeks now. I do not suffer with allergies so it didn't dawn on me that Abby might. The Benadryl worked! My freshly washed sheets were dry, yes we are down to sheets at night, sorry to those that do not live in this beautiful state. Thanks for all the input, especially the frog story, Abby tries to catch one every night on our walk.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yay! I'm glad the Benadryl worked. When I read that the vet suggested Benadryl I was trying to figure out why Benadryl would help with drooling. I didn't even think of it being for allergies. Aroos from Doppler and Virga!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts