Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I purchased a nice new garbage can for my kitchen. I got it from The Container Store, it's very contempory in design and has a peddle to open the lid. It was also a little on the expensive side.

Well! I wasn't too surprised when you know who figured out how to operate the new garbage can, but she kept getting hit in the head with the lid. I decided to make it a little more complicated for Slinky and foil her mischievous plan! I placed the new garbage can on top of a couple of old telephone books so she couldn't operate the peddle and balance herself at the same time.

Yesterday, when I got home, Slinky had knocked over the garbage can, tore the lid off and the telephone books had been shredded, and she vomited from all the paper she chewed.

Why don't my plans ever work out :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
I must be smarter than the dog. I must be smarter than the dog. Repeat after me. I must be smarter than the dog. Who are we trying to kid? This is why we have CyberHound. We need a self help group to help us with our trials. I am laughing because I know I will never outsmart my Wilson.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You're right. You'll never outsmart your basset. Devious things. They don't have to worry about bills and what's going on on "24" like we do, so they have time to plot and plan and scheme against us. We're doomed.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Well, I needed a good laugh today, and I'm still laughing. Bassets never cease to amaze me at how smart they really are. Granted they have the "dumb" look down pat, but those wheels are turning all the time.

Aroooos from Bogie!!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Originally posted by MaureenandSlinky
Why is every Basset Slave amused by a Basset getting the best of someone?  Even if a serious expense incurs.
Because we've all been there! And if we were really that ticked off or embarrased, we wouldn't post the story! :lol: (I also think we all like to prove how smart our various hounds are.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maureen, I'd like to know what make you think you can have a basset hound AND nice things. I thought that was almost one or the other and personnally I'd rather have the basset than some froo froo garbage can, mostly because almost everything I own looks like garbage because of either Wilson or my kids. Ha Ha I am sorry about the $$$$$. I don't have any of those either.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have to admit I chuckled too! When we had Sandy I just put the trash up on the counter! Try putting a brick in the bottom of the trash can to weight it down. Also I have been reading about a new produce that natures miracle is making that you spray on things so the dog won't chew. I believe it is similar to bitter apple. You might want to try that on the trash can too!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm very sorry, but I also found your account very funny! :oops: And I have to agree, we've ALL been there. Each time we have a chuckle at another member's expense, we are reminded of all the times our Bassets got the best of US! (And admit it, one and all... there have been MANY of those times!).

A Basset's favorite sayings:

Where there's a will, there's a way!
What's in it for me?
and my personal favorite: Don't worry; be happy!

Terry :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maureen,

I have a similar garbage can and loved it for about a year. It was air-tight and did a great job until Chloe broke the top of the garbage can. I now place a metal teapot on top of the can to keep her from getting in it. Tres Chic! :roll: :roll: But, woe is me on the days I forget to put the teapot on top -- Chloe goes into "mach Basset mode" and has ripped up garbage spread from one end of the kitchen to the other. (Dirty diapers are her favorite. Blech.)

Can you take your expensive can back and get a similar model at Costco (approx. $30) so at least you won't feel so bad when Slinky does what he is programmed to do?

To quote the film, Dead Poet's Society, "We aren't laughing at you, we are laughing near you." (Because we have ALL "been there, done that". ) :lol: :lol:

Colleen

·
Registered
335 Posts
Don't feel bad, Maureen; I bought a small pedal-operated-topped trash can for the bathroom, (got it at WalMart, they also had the larger kitchen-size models) and Daisy has it all figured out and it presents absolutely no threat or challenge to her at all. The first few times, she inadvertantly stepped on the pedal and the lid flipping up scared the soup out of her.
Now she's wise to it and avoids the pedal, but can bump the top up with her nose and browse at will. :x Gosh, I hate that....

My kitchen trash is in the cabinet under the sink; which she cannot get into. The best thing I have found to keep her out of the bathroom trash is to shut the door, or, better yet, put the trash can in the bathtub and close the sliding shower door when we're not going to be in the house. Daisy can open the bathroom door by head-butting it (it doesn't latch real well), but she can't manage the sliding shower door! (yet)

Sorry your dog ate your phone books, mine prefers cookbooks. :lol: She "enjoyed" my Taste of Home Baking Book yesterday, but not too badly. Wonder if it tasted as good as it looked?

I think we're all just amazed that everytime we think we've outsmarted our dogs, they prove us wrong--every time! Kinda makes me feel like Wile E. Coyote & the Roadrunner, the way our bassets outsmart us with such ease....

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've chimed in before about this - there IS a Basset proof garbage can, that also looks OK in the house. We have a bullet can with the little door at the top you push in. It's commercial grade heavy steel. To empty it, the whole outer part lifts off the inner steel liner, and they come in lots of colors. Ours has withstood all Basset attacks for 5 years! An internet search will come up with several sources. Not cheap, but they last forever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts