Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has this problem with their Basset. Bogie curls up to sleep about eight each evening in the den with us while we are watching TV. We generally put him out around 10PM for the last potty trip before bed. Well, he's like a dead dog at 10, and we have a terrible time getting him to wake up so he can go out. He won't even raise his head for a cookie we hold under his nose.
Last night it took us a good ten minuets of poking, prodding, calling, bribing to get him up and out the door. When we try to make him stand up he just goes limp. Once out he will pee for a long time, and then heads for his crate in the bedroom when we let him back in. He sleeps in it beside our bed. He doesn't mind the crate, just hops in, eats his cookie snack, and snoozes until 6AM. How do you wake up a sleepy Basset for bedtime??

·
Registered
78 Posts
sleepyhead

i have a similar problem...i am starting the last call to pee & poop
around 9pm....before sadie gets too sleepy....she's not happy when she is disturbed......

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just shout 'Nummies!!" ...and walk towards the kitchen, where the treats are.

I have trouble with Belly too ...he'll give me a low growl every once in a while.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's exactly the same with Francis. When I come home from work at midnight and want him to do his business before retiring it takes WORK. SOmetimes I think a stick of dynamite under his little butt would be the only solution.
Francis also doesn't heed the siren call of treats or food. He's rather sleep. I wonder if this is peculiar to bassets??

·
Registered
813 Posts
George is like Emma. It's his morning potty break that it's hard to get him going for. We've gotten used to his strict bedtime (who trained whom? :wink: ) so we let him out for his last call before his 10 p.m. lights out. But in the morning, though he'll get up long enough to make sure I'M awake (I have to get out of bed to satisfy him), he then goes back to bed if I'm not really quick about getting him a weenie (or two, or three ... ) and shoving him out the door. Once he's gone back to bed, good luck getting him out after that. He'll pat his tail lazily against the couch (his bed) to show he knows you're talking to him, but he won't get back up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sometimes have the same problem with Trixie in the mornings. I feel as if I am begging her to get up and come out of her play pen. Sometimes I have to put the leash on her and drag her out in order to get her on her feet, once up on all four then she is ready to go out. On the other hand, if I choose to sleep in, like on the weekends, she can't get out of that play pen fast enough.

Trixie's Mom

·
Registered
511 Posts
Rosie & Tucker are pretty easy to get up most of the time, especially if there's a cookie involved. Miles however can sleep! It's sometimes hard to get him up in the morning for breakfast, he'd rather sleep in.

I do have a secret trick that gets Miles up every time. The boy HATES having his nails trimmed and ears cleaned, so I just pretend I'm going to do one or the other and he's up like a flash :lol:

H

·
0 Posts
Ok, I'm jealous..................my Basset is really hyper and just about always barking to go out - or something. Sometimes I don't even know! But when he does get sleepy (not often enough) he's such a cuddle bug. I can't imagine not being about to wake him!

S

·
0 Posts
My Pearly is a problem in the morning. Often I have to drag her out of bed to potty before I go off to work. Often she potties on the patio before she stumbles back off to bed. She is a marathon sleeper. yvonne

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When Winston is asleep, nothing can wake him up. If you tried to touch or bother him, he usually will growl. :roll:
(I can relate to that!) :wink:

That's why we have a doggie door. So they can go out whenever they want to and we don't have to bother them and they don't have to bother us. Fair enough, I think.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know the problem. My Ben ( but thankfully NOT the other 3) is almost impossible to wake up when he is sleeping, and he`ll let you know , in a loud voice, just how horrible we are to eaven try!
It can take 5 minutes to walk 10 feet and he often simply falls asleep, in step, on the way.

I have also seen him fall asleep while peeing.... :lol:

And it is ALWAYS when he is fast asleep, morning,day, evening and night.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Daisy's last potty trip is about 8PM. She's usually begging to go to bed by 8:45, so I try to get her out well before then, no matter what the weather. We usually have to get up for a bit around 3-3:30 for another potty trip, regardless...she has a tiny little bladder, I guess! :wink:

If she falls asleep on the couch or floor early, we just talk to her and perhaps even prod her a little and she'll get up and go to bed. She might need help getting on the bed, she's just so exhausted, you know, but she gets there. :lol:

Guess I'm pretty lucky when it comes to sleeping dogs...now if I could just get the sheltie to just lay still when he gets woke up. He never gets awakened on purpose, but if I step over him or walk past him, his usual reaction to getinng woke up is jumping up and dashing between my feet in mid-stride; he isn't even awake yet, he just blunders around blindly--I don't know how many times he's nearly made me fall doing that. :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Originally posted by tinaherb

I have also seen him fall asleep while peeing.... :lol:  

That is just TOO funny! :lol: :eek: :D

I laughed out loud at that one, good thing my co-worker already knows I'm nuts...

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have the same problem. We usually say crazy things asking Pedro if he has to go potty outside over and over in excited voices until he sort of perks up his ears. Then we have to bribe him. Sometimes we just pretend we are eating something, smacking our lips together, and that's enough to get him interested and rolling off the couch! :shock:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have the very same problem with Lucy, but she likes to stay outside during the day, so when she comes in at dinner, she is done for the day. I thought to myself last night, that she is like raising the dead when it comes to waking her. If I don't, however, she is dancing beside the bed at some point during the night to go out! Sigh... :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts