Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rooney, our now 5-month-old pup, has always been a pretty quiet guy (knock wood). He's also a rock star about sleeping through the night in his crate (ditto with the knocking), and we always get up early to let him out. So imagine our surprise when we were woken at 5:30 this a.m. by a loud, unearthly moaning that sounded like a cross between humpback whale and mating moose. We went rushing to his crate in the livingroom, at which point he got up, seemingly ok although breathing a bit heavily. He was his regular, happy-go-lucky self, and after a quick trip outside, we sent him back to bed for an hour - with no howling.

Has anyone had a hound that howls in his sleep? He has had a subtle, on-and-off limp that we speculate might be pano, but otherwise no obvious signs of pain. We're really, really hoping that he hasn't decided to start practicing his singing voice in the wee hours of the morning. And if he was sleep howling, I wonder if it was a nightmare, or the best dream of his life (non-stop belly scratching, unlimited cookies, all the chewies a boy could want...).

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Rooney, our now 5-month-old pup, has always been a pretty quiet guy (knock wood). He's also a rock star about sleeping through the night in his crate (ditto with the knocking), and we always get up early to let him out. So imagine our surprise when we were woken at 5:30 this a.m. by a loud, unearthly moaning that sounded like a cross between humpback whale and mating moose. We went rushing to his crate in the livingroom, at which point he got up, seemingly ok although breathing a bit heavily. He was his regular, happy-go-lucky self, and after a quick trip outside, we sent him back to bed for an hour - with no howling.[/b]
FWIW my harrier makes more noise in his sleep than when he is a wake.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The only time my Charlie woo-woo's is in his sleep. He lets out a few good ones, wakes up, smacks his lips, and looks at me as if to say, "Who's making all the noise?"

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The only time my Charlie woo-woo's is in his sleep. He lets out a few good ones, wakes up, smacks his lips, and looks at me as if to say, "Who's making all the noise?"[/b]

Same here--I've only heard my girls howl once when awake, but every so often (not too often) they really get going in their sleep. Must be some dream.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Stickers does this almost everynight :rolleyes: I have NEVER heard her sing (howl) except when she is in a sound sleep in the middle of the night. Then Rusty joins in! I know it's her because when I sneak into the room just when it starts, I see it's her and she is sound asleep. THen Rusty starts. It is loud and not fun in the middle of the night. I think it's a dream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.