Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out there has a problem with their bassets skin. I took Noonie to the vet the other day and she said he had seborreah. His skin is very flaky in areas and he is constantly scratching. Sometimes he even bites himself to try to relieve the itch. :eek: The vet said to bathe him in Selsun Blue, which I have been doing for the past week. I don't know how long it will take to notice a difference, but I wish it would be soon.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
While bassets may have seborrhea in the absence of underlying conditions (also called primary seborrhea), it's also possibly that there is an underlying problem that will need to be diagnosed and treated (called secondary seborrhea). From Canine Seborrhea: Dealing with "Doggie Odor"
There are many causes of seborrhea including metabolic disorders (hypothyroidism, Cushings disease or hyperadrenocorticism, dietary deficiencies, malabsorption, maldigestion, pancreatic diseases), internal parasites, external parasites (fleas, ticks, lice), hypersensitivities (food allergy, inhaled allergies, flea allergies), ringworm infections, and some autoimmune diseases.
This article also contains information on managing a dog with seborrhea.

Here are some additional discussions.

Seborrhea in Dogs
Seborrhea

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betsy, thanks for the helpful links. Looks like Noonie has a combination of both types. Luckily it seems to be only in a couple of areas. After doing some reading I realize his condition could be a lot worse. Noonie is almost seven and we've never seen signs of this before. Strange. :roll: We will continue to bathe him as the vet advised and if that doesn't work we will pursue other options. Thanks again.

A

·
0 Posts
Molly is almost 7 and was recently diagnosed with allergies to dust mites and mold. The symptons are itchy red skin. The areas most affected are between her toes on her front feet, then armpits and most of her underside. The allergy testing cost $250. I'm waiting for the serum to be made and then it's shots. Either that or I hire a live-in 24 hr. maid!! Hope he feels better soon. Belinda.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Shyla had some spots not long ago that were red and itchy for her and I got some stuff called Sulfodene 9on the dog aisle at the supermarket). it is for hot spots and cuts, etc. It cleared it up in a week. I had been using a cream the vet gave me which was no help at all so I just bought it to give it a try.

·
Registered
77 Posts
about 2 weeks ago i noticed what felt like a bumpy little scab on the back of mojo's neck - i watched it for a couple of days and it seemed to flake off (the way a scab does) so i stopped worrying about it. then last night while i was rubbing his back i noticed he had more of it between his shoulder blades - the one on hhis neck was about the size of the tip of your pinky but the new ones spread over about half an inch - any idea what it could be? i'm going to make a vet appointment if this isn't a normal basset thing - i thought about putting some hydrocortisone cream on it but wanted to ask here first - i also found what looks almost like a pink blister on his lower lip, just barely under his chin. it's firm, not something you could pop, but has no hair on it. he started with one on the left side and now has 3. does this sound familiar? they don't seem to cause him any pain (he lets me touch them) and he isn't acting any differently; i.e.: he's eating regularly, bowels and everything are normal, etc. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - or at least if someone can set my mind at ease until i can get him to the vet i'd be ecstatic!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like he might have seborrhea like Noonie. But of course, you need to get a proper diagnosis from the vet. Noonie's skin seems to be getting better. He's still scratching, but not as much as before. His skin looks almost normal at this point. Looks like the Selsun Blue treatment is actually helping. My poor boy has been getting baths every other day. :eek: I have no idea what the little bumps could be, but try not to worry. A while back Noonie developed a lump on his leg. It didn't seem to bother him at all. I on the other had was afraid it was a cancerous tumor. Took him to the vet and it turned out to be nothing more than some fluid that had collected there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks for the vote of confidence! :) i'm taking him into the vet on thursday morning, so i'll keep you posted on the outcome - at least if the skin problem is the same as noonie's mojo will be happy - he LOVES baths! he climbs in the tub with me every time i'm in it and lays on my chest in the water and then won't move until the tub's drained! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wish Noonie was as happy about bath time as Mojo. He gets a little nervous when he realizes what's getting ready to happen. He'll even whine a little and try to climb out of the tub. He's not frantic or anything like that, he just wants out. Overall he is taking the whole thing rather well and I often tell him how brave he is for withstanding such torture. ;) Good luck on your trip to the vet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts