Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor boy--I took him to the vet yesterday for something completely different, and when I took his collar off I saw that the skin underneath the collar was completely raw and smelled to high heaven. Turns out it's a hot spot that got infected. It's so huge, I don't know how I didn't know it was there! She gave me antibiotics and special shampoo, but that was it. I just got him some benedryl for the itching (in addition, he seems to have a skin infection, so his entire body is itching). Does anyone out there have any additional tips on keeping him comfy? (No collar until it clears up.) He's NEVER had anything like this before, could his age (13+) have something to do with it?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Our vet gives me Genticin spray for Murray's hotspots, which are usually pretty small. Genticin is a combination of cortizone and an antibiotic I think- I spray the hotspot twice a day and it usually clears up in a day or two. The cortisone in the spray stops the itching.

Maybe the shampoo and antibiotic is the preferred treatment for a large spot like the one you described- Murray never had a huge spot like that-

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sorry to hear Stomps is having some skin issues. I hope it clears up quickly for him. I don't have any suggestions but I did want to ask how Stomps back is doing? Sending lots of healing vibes for your baby.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments, Murray and Yogi's moms. Originally, I made the appointment for Stomps to talk about his back. He's still ataxic, but not nearly as bad as a few months ago when i posted about it. However, the other day he was walking toward the kitchen and he just fell down. So I wanted to see if there was something I could give him daily to try to help that. I didn't think there was anything the vet could do, but I felt I needed to do it. Then when I got to the vet, I took Stomps' Invisible Fence collar off and saw that horrible place on his neck. So it wasn't a wasted visit. The vet took a blood sample to see if it would be okay to put him on Rimadyl, and she called me yesterday to say that his calcium levels were slightly elevated. High calcium levels can indicate cancer, so that was not good news. I'm going to post separately about that. But thanks very much for asking about his back. Turns out that may be the least of his problems.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So sorry your boy is having problems. I have used Gentacin in the past. It works great. That collar infection happened to my Maggie Mae (ATB). Hers was from the drool causing the wet moist neck and the collar trapping it in. That is one of several reasons my dogs don't wear a collar but I understand some people want their dog to wear one. Slinging healing drool his way.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
So sorry to hear about the problems your houndie is facing right now.

~Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts