Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my boys recently have developed very irritated areas in the folds of skin in their neck. I don't feed them anything with corn, they're treated for fleas, and nothing has changed. Stomps armpits also seem inflamed. I had been spraying Gold Bond spray on the affected areas, but I think Stomps hid the bottle while I was at work one day. Any idea what could be causing the irritation? It's been a very wet spring/summer/fall. Could that be it?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This happens with mine occasionally. I find that leaving their collars off helps it clear up; the collars tend to bunch the loose skin up a bit, trapping moisture and preventing good air circulation.

I haven't used Gold Bond spray, but if the areas are moist, powder may help dry them out more effectively. If they get to looking red and angry, it's probably best to see the vet and have them treated for a skin infection.

[ October 19, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You might laugh at me, but I use the Desitin ointment on my hounds, like you would use for diaper rash on a baby, when they get a place that is looking really irritated. It does really well for me. That is, of course, before it looks like it might be getting infected.
Cindy

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about Desitin--I consider it a wonder drug. But I don't know how I would keep it from getting everywhere. Keeping the collars off at night has really helped, and eventually it's got to stop raining, right? Also, I've got to either find that Gold Bond spray or go get more. It's a very dry spray, not wet, so I think it helps dry the area out a bit. Thanks Betsy and Cindy for your suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts