Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. My name is Adam, and my basset's names are Bear and Reagan. I have had Reagan since she was 6 weeks, and @ 7 weeks she contracted parvo from the backyard of our new house. She made it through ok, but she seems to be cursed with infections now. do most basset's experience skin or staff infections or is it just mine?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Staff infections are fairly common. I saw your question about breeding your two bassets. Since you have a dog with chronic skin problems, who contracted parvo in your back yard, I see this as another good argument to not breed these two.

I hope you truly have changed your mind about puppies.....

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Adam, I've found with mine that if you will add a good dollop of plain yogurt to their food twice a day, it helps with the skin infections and also with the distinctive "houndie" odor some Bassets have. And they LOVE it, although my Fred prefers vanilla! :roll: With all their wrinkles, some Bassets are prone to yeast infections, too, and the yogurt helps a lot. Good luck! Parvo, ewww, that's a horrible disease, I'm so glad your baby survived and is better!
Cindy

A

·
0 Posts
Do you get the same result with lowfat or nonfat yogurt? Max probably should stay away from too much fat. Thanks for the info.

Mike, Max's daddy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts