Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think Simon is smarter, and more creative than many dogs. He invents games to play by himself. He is alittle scared of thebaby gates. He will line up several of his toys in front of one, growl, and scoot over and grab one He will also line up kibbles in front of the gate, bat them away and eat them. He will set the rocking chair rocking, growl at that... what can i say he is a genius!!! :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aren't they amazing? Like our children, we rejoice in all of their antics. My kids think I'm crazy when I just want to talk about what Huck did today instead of, "Oh, how are the grandkids?" :D :D Personally, most of the time I think Huck is much more amusing and alot less annoying!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Larryboy will sometimes play by himself with a sock he has stolen or a part of a toy. They are so funny aren't they? Everyday they bring joy to our lives.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is really smart. I do think they are one of the smarter breeds. Does anyone know where they rank officially? Although wouldn't that be hard to determine since they only live to please themselves? yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucy's game is that every morning without fail she wakes up,gets off the bed ,and runs in the bathroom and pulls the washrags off of the bathtub and carries them to the middle of the bedroom and leaves them on the floor. Not sure why but she seems to have a problem with the washrags and decided they should not be in the bathroom. we will put them back on the tub and go downstairs to make coffee and she will run back upstairs and pull them off again. I'm thinking that she is pretty smart because she has us hook, line, and sinker in the middle of the washrag game she made up. Makes you wonder who's training who.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Louie's favorite game is pulling all the clothes out of the laundry basket. Then he lays on them, like they are MINE!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Yea......Lucy and Ethel play the laundry game :) they have a thing for socks. We have shredded socks all over the house

·
Registered
59 Posts
Molson has started a new game of "I don't wanna go in the kitchen"
Every morning when I take his majesty from our bed to be penned in the kitchen while we're at work, he immediately goes to the couch and gets up on it, so I take him off of the couch and he runs back to the bedroom and tries to get back up on the bed before I catch him!
I think he is hoping I will forget & leave him to sleep the day away in bed!

·
Registered
100 Posts
As most bassets on this forum, Snoopy thinks "okay he is" in charge. He likes to play fetch but only like once or twice, then he hides his toy, because he is mad that we keep throwing it around. "how dare us"

Lately however, his new thing to do is bring us his ball or any convenient toy and he will fling it in the air and then turn to us and "bark" as if he was telling us to fetch.. it is an absolute riot and how can you not resist to go fetch after his ingenuity.

After long day, I just can't wait to get home to see what my Babie is going to do to entertain me and cheer me up.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Why am I not surprised at that result :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is a very common misconception: to measure the intelligence of a dog based on how much they obey a dumb trainer (no offence trainers, please). These people do not perceive that any Basset Hound is so intelligent that they use to see no reason to do silly things that has no meaning for a dog of a superior intellect. :D You know what I mean. That is, I guess that all Basset owners (or slaves, that is the same thing) know that look in a Basset's face, as they are saying: "so what?". Bassets are well above those "intelligent" breeds just because they do what they want to do, not because some silly human tell them to do that. More, a real ranking of dog's intelligence should take in account how well trained is the dog owner (I mean, dog slave). Then the Basset Hounds would win the first prize. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we taught ryobi to trade an object he has decided to chew on for a treat (so we don't have to chase him around) Now out of the blue he will go around the house and find a piece of paper or something on the floor and bring it to me so proud and happy, i can't resist giving him a treat for it, sometimes it only takes once other times he goes on the search severakl times (even bringing me his toys). We have also taught him to hand it to us so he comes in handy when we do drop something he will pick it up for us. :p

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think bassets are smart to "hide" their intelligence from the people who put these lists together. It's much easier to take over the world is you are flying beneath the radar.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by ec:
He invents games to play by himself.  
So does Daisy; after Xmas, I noticed she was playing with toy truck tires that my sons keep taking off their trucks; she'll throw them (or anything small enough to hold in her mouth properly) up in the air and chase them around with such a look of joy on her face. I went to WalMart yesterday and bought her a tire designed for a dog to play with, and she's really having a pretty good time with it. It's much better than the boys' toy tires, I worry about her getting ahold of one and choking on it, this is about 6 inches in diameter so no worries there. ;-) She can't throw it up in the air, but she can drag it by it's rope.

She also plays with her stuffed dolls til the squeaker wears out, then she shreds them out of frustration, I guess. Not sure if she's trying to figure out where the noise came from and why it's not coming anymore, or if she's just mad 'caue the squeaker broke.

We also recently discovered a *lot* of nose prints on our picture window. Hmmmm.... Saturday I finally caught her sitting on my cedar chest, nose poked out between the blinds, staring up the street, waiting for Daddy and the boys to come home.

Now I know what she does on cold days when it's too cool to hang out in the backyard all day....

Bassets are just way too cool....

BarbR

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by elvis's human:
I think bassets are smart to \"hide\" their intelligence from the people who put these lists together.  It's much easier to take over the world is you are flying beneath the radar.
You got the general ideia. Why should we (Bassets) prove how intelligent we are if after that humans will anoy us to make those silly human tricks. Besides, many hounds prefer to create their own tricks, funnier and much more amusing.

Try teach your dog something that you know that he or she will really enjoy, like search and find a toy or a treat. I bet that they will learn it quite quickly.

My hound can "count" biscuits, for instance. I posted this same story here once. If I put five biscuits on a plate and let he "count" them, distract him to look to another way, steal just one biscuit whem he is looking to the other way, he will check the plate with his nose, touching each biscuit, and bark to me as protesting "Hey, where is the missing one?". Is it a procedure of a dumb dog? On the other hand, I just gave up to teach him many things that he does not want to learn.

It is easy to train those "smart" dogs to do not sleep on your favorite couch. But a Basset Hound will sooner or later persuade you that it is a natural habit that must be allowed to any poor and sad eyed dog. Who is the smart one? :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts