Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So moving into our new home my Basset hound Charlie has picked up a few bad behaviors, like peeing/pooping on the floor and jumping on the new furniture. I didn't really know what to do except for saying NO!! and putting him out side which really hasn't helped much. While roaming through Walmart, I run across a boat/signal horn on clearance for $9, so I get the idea of using this horn for when Charlie decides he wants to jump up on the furniture or lift his leg, thinking the loud noise will make him stop what he is about to do immediately. So for the last week ive been using this signal/boat horn that's extremely loud when you hit the button, and yes its working!! I try to use it minimal as possible and when I do its just a quick squeeze of the trigger to get his immediate attention. I just wanted to get your opinions about me using this horn as a deterrent tool. I do notice that sometimes I don't even have to hit the trigger on the horn, I just pick up the bottle and he sorta cower away with his head down. I'm just concerned that I might make him afraid of me, not that I have been noticing it but it is on my mind. So what do you think, is it a bad idea?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I wouldn't do it, but both my pups are sensitive to noise. Even the lovely and talented Bailey, who is otherwise very calm and confident, sometimes gets upset by loud noises.

I've always found making a quick kind of hissing noise (much like Cesar Milan who stole the idea from me, I swear he did!! I did NOT get it from him!!) is effective. If that doesn't do the trick, I clap my hands, which is loud, but nothing like a boat horn.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Noise will work --- when you are there watching ----- small mouse traps under newspaper will teach him that the furniture is dangerous- even when you are not watching
Bassets learn quickly if you let them know what is wrong and what is correct

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Mousetraps under newspaper would work.

I think one thing to consider is that you don't want your basset to begin associating all loud noises with punishment, which might happen with the bullhorn treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts