Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something going on with Shyla and I don't know what it is. Last weekend, we went out of town and boarded Shyla at the vet's office. While she was there, I asked the vet to listen to her heart and lungs, check her nose and throat because she seemed to be breathing faster than normal. When I went to pick her up, the vet said she sounded fine, attributed the rapid breathing to the heat and that she is a bit overweight. Forward to last Thursday and Shyla came into my room while I was on the computer and her eyes were rolled back in her head and she was breathing really funny, like huffing. She then threw up a lot of mucous. I ran to get my husband and we then called the vet (it was 7:30 at night), who luckily was already at the clinic with another emergency and told us to come in. Of course, she was absolutely fine when we got there. He showed us that her eyes weren't rolling to the back of her head but that her third eyelid was coming up and covering her eye which just makes it look like that. He listened to her heart and lungs, took blood and said that she was fine at the moment so he really couldn't tell what had happened, that maybe she started to have a small seizure or she was devloping asthma. Anyway, he gave us some Theophylline to give to her if she started in breathing funny again. Since last Thursday she has been having these "episodes" about twice a day. And I am absolutely scared to death. I now think it is asthma as yesterday she was breathing in small breathes and the sides of her mouth looked like they were being sucked in. The funny thing is that she breathes fine when I take her outside. Its like she is allergic to something in the house, and no, we have not changed anything or gotten new cleaners.

Is there some type of inhaler for dogs to make the attack stop right away? I will be taking her back to the vet this week but just wanted to know if anyone had experience with asthma in dogs, if that is even what this is.

Thanks!
Lisa :(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't know about the inhaler.

And I don't know where you live. But here, allergy stuff is horrible this year. I've been having horrid allergy attacks and something close to asthma (although it isn't, thank goodness) outside on one or two occasions.

If you're in a really pollen-y area or an area with a lot of smog, you might want to really limit her time outside. Also, don't use window fans --- use the air conditioner instead. And consider an air cleaner --- I use one with a HEPA filter and it honestly makes a difference.

Good luck. Scary!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh. D'oh! It says right below your name that you're in Texas.

Are you in the drought area? If so, the dust and the particulate matter from all the fires has caused a lot of people a lot of problems. Thank goodness our drought ended some months ago (I'm in far NE Oklahoma), but it was really bad.

That might be one reason Shyla's having so many problems.

If you're not in the drought area, never mind this post! :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's always a drought here! LOL But like I said, she actually breathes better when I take her outside. She was having a pretty bad episode so I took her outside and she started breathing better. But I can't leave her outside because it is sooo hot down here and she is an inside dog.

I have been reading on the internet about asthma in dogs and I really think that is what it is. I have a call into the vet to see if there is anything else I can do for her or give her. It really is sooo scary.

MODERATORS - I know I should have originally posted this here in Basset Health but I know a lot of people don't read all sections and really wanted to see if I could get some responses from people who have experience with this.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Jake has had similar symptoms before but they just called it allergy... or the doggy version of croup- He has/is taking Temaril- P which covers asthma and allergies- He is doing very well on it-

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with the vet and he is going to keep her for the day tomorrow to see what's going on. I am still so worried! He is having me up the dose on the Theophylline tonight. He said if I get scared to call him tonight and he will meet me at the clinic.

I love my vet!!

Prayers for Shyla and Xanax for me!!

Lisa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts