Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
I doubt there would be enough basset owners/breeders to support more than one club in a state. There's one club in New England and people travel about 5 times a year to club events. If your going to get into showing, field trials, tracking, etc you're going to have to be prepared to do some traveling. Most of the breeders I know travel every weekend; quite a few just drove from places like Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts to the Nationals in St. Louis. And the people out west usually have to travel much further than us in the Northeast to get to AKC events. I'm sure Betsy and others could tell you more about that.

Actually Virginia has more dog shows than a lot of states in places like Leesburg, Hampton, Richmond, Charlottesville, Virginia Beach, etc. And there are shows in nearby states so you're really fortunate to be from Virginia instead of a place like Nevada. ;) Dean and Billy can tell you where the field trials are in your area.

Being a reputable breeder is expensive, time consuming and really takes committment and dedication. Hats off to you for doing your homework first!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.