Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me for sounding so uneducated, but I was looking at the National Results and so many dogs are owned by more than one person, why is that? And what is an agent? Do dogs have their own agents?
Also, how hard would it be to start a club in my area. The closest one is in northern va. which is not very convenient if someone wants to become really involved? Has anyone ever done this before?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
 so many dogs are owned by more than one person, why is that?

Sometimes a dog that is being campaigned will have more than one owner in order to split the expenses. Or if a breeder has a nice bitch or dog she might "share" it with another breeder to cut down on expenses or make room in the kennel but still have access to it's puppies or stud services. Also, some breeders will do this when selling a quality dog to a newbie, since you can't sell a show dog on a limited registration. You really want to make sure you get along with the other people before you do something like this......

And what is an agent? Do dogs have their own agents?
The agent is the handler in the ring. Often people will hire a handler rather than show the dog themselves, the handler will often decide which shows to enter, make the entries etc. Campaigned dogs will sometimes live with the handler for the duration.

Also, how hard would it be to start a club in my area. The closest one is in northern va. which is not very convenient if someone wants to become really involved? Has anyone ever done this before?[/  
That I don't know. I'd think you'd want to join a club first to see how they work? If you could find others nearby that are experienced club people that would probably help.

[ October 10, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I doubt there would be enough basset owners/breeders to support more than one club in a state. There's one club in New England and people travel about 5 times a year to club events. If your going to get into showing, field trials, tracking, etc you're going to have to be prepared to do some traveling. Most of the breeders I know travel every weekend; quite a few just drove from places like Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts to the Nationals in St. Louis. And the people out west usually have to travel much further than us in the Northeast to get to AKC events. I'm sure Betsy and others could tell you more about that.

Actually Virginia has more dog shows than a lot of states in places like Leesburg, Hampton, Richmond, Charlottesville, Virginia Beach, etc. And there are shows in nearby states so you're really fortunate to be from Virginia instead of a place like Nevada. ;) Dean and Billy can tell you where the field trials are in your area.

Being a reputable breeder is expensive, time consuming and really takes committment and dedication. Hats off to you for doing your homework first!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Too true! The closest shows that I go to are an hour from me, most are 2-3 hours and often I'm gone overnight to shows. Special events like specialties I'll go a loooooooong way (like from Ottawa to St Louis). My agility classes are 1 1/2 hr away, the local kennel club meetings and obedience classes are an hour away too.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Closest conformation shows for me are 300, 500, and 750 miles away. Closest obedience trials are 260 miles away. I found myself telling someone at Nationals this and realized just how freaking insane I am. :eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all your help, I just want to clarify one point. I don't mind a bit travelling for the shows, my point about a basset only club is if you wanted to attend monthly meetings or be an officer or something like that it is difficult to do from a couple hours away. There are some nice all breed clubs in the are I am visiting to see which one(s) could be best for Lily and I.
I was just surprised with the number of basset owners in our area that there isn't a breed specific club.
There is a show coming up in Nov in Va Beach, which is not far from me at all. And I am wondering if I should just go and watch or try to enter Lily in the Novice Obedience. I think she could do it, just don't know if I could. lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If you haven't tried a "ring routine" then I suggest just watching. If you have an instructor (who has trialed dogs) have them run you through the routine to see if your "team" is ready. Make sure you read the rules (online at the AKC website or you can order a copy (I believe they'll still send it to you for free). Even if the dog is fine, I've seen a lot of points lost through handler error just because the human half of the team was not familiar with the rules.

There's a Yahoo group devoted to obedience trialing with bassets, they're great help with training and trialling tips.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BassetHoundO...?yguid=77714709

Also one for Agility

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BassetAgilit...?yguid=77714709

and Rally-O

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BassetRally/...?yguid=77714709

and Showing

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BassetShowri...?yguid=77714709

·
Registered
773 Posts
Milissa,

The New England club only meets a few times a year, not monthly. Frankly, it's difficult enough to get everyone together every few months, I doubt we'd have much attendance on a monthly basis. A club is a great way to meet other basset people, breeders, maybe find a mentor.

Just be prepared -- if you do find a venue that suits you and your dog, it's addictive. I just traded my small SUV for a mini-van to accomodate all the dog and show stuff I have to haul around. Then there's my license plate, which says 'ARUUUU'. And the jewelry and the clothes that are basset-themed. A lot of people think I'm crazy -- but my basset friends understand ;) !

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the links and advice I really appreciate it. I think that match sounds like a good idea.
I've already bought a small RV for the dogs, because of traveling just on vacation and stuff with them we don't like to leave them behind. But I've already looking at taking out the dinnette to make room for more crates and stuff. ;) Haven't shared that idea with hubby yet. This is getting really exciting! I can't wait.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
I know most of you all are based in America but is there anyone out there that can help in advising if any of you know of a Basset club based in France but its English run.As i would love to join a club but not fluent enough yet to join a French Basset club,and would find it frustrating in not being able to join in the fun & questions..
As we would enjoy the group walks etc.
Many thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts