Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with titled dogs and/or involved in the show ring, how did you start?

I got seriously into bassets about 2 years ago. I currently have 3 fully AKC registered. 2 females and 1 male. One of my females and my male come from "champion bloodlines" but the champs don't start until 4 gens back for my female and 5 gens back for my male.

I had a litter last year. All sold as pets except one, which someone purchased for show purposes because she said he conformed well.

I recently caught flack from a couple of show breeders for stating that my dogs have champion bloodlines. I was accused of profiting off the hard work of the show breeders in my dogs' lines and told it's not OK to say "champion bloodlines" if any champions are back further than 3 generations. I was also told that dogs should not be bred if they aren't titled and shamed for offering stud services.

I was blown away because I use my own kennel name, don't claim titles on ANY of my dogs, and don't even claim they are champion-sired.

As far as what my pups sell for, I charge barely over half of what many breeders with similarly-pedigreed dogs sell their dogs for. I barely make above breaking even after the vet care and daily care on my dogs or any pups. I also only allow my stud to breed with females who meet conformation standards and have champs in their bloodline and test negative for breed-related genetic diseases and brucellosis.

My goal has always been to eventually get into showing, but I know it takes time and everyone has to start somewhere.

I have looked up 2 kennel clubs in my state and have thought about trying to network that way. Even to shadow someone or find a mentor.

I am very open to learning, it just sucks to be "shamed" and told you will never have a shot at showing because you've made some mistakes early on in your breeding/ showing career.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hi
Well for starters, where in the world are you? So I can tell you more reliably about showing!! My background is both in England, where we originally lived and bought our first hound, with a few years out in Canada where we showed and bred. Coming back to the UK, we also added judging to the list! :p We are both now retired although I show a huge interest in the breed still.

When we bought our first hound, back in 1972, from one of the leading Basset kennels in the UK, although at the outset we only wanted a pet, we were convinced we had the next Crufts BIS. That illusion was quickly quashed once we did venture into the ring with him - after going to ringcraft too. His breeder didn't give us much information really and for sure, the more of her breeding in the ring, the more she liked it!

I suggest you do approach your original breeder (who would normally become your mentor) for their unbiased opinion about your hounds - it cost a significant sum of go showing and for that reason alone, there's no point unless you do have a reasonable chance of placing, let alone make up (finish - US) a Champion.

And using the term Champion bloodlines isn't really worth doing - by all means say there are Champions in the pedigree but even with 'Champion bloodlines' that isn't to say each puppy WILL become a Champion. Far fewer do (especially in the UK where to win 3 CCs under 3 different judges when you have to beat out existing Champions, makes a Championship more significant), than make the grade.

Let me know where you are, and maybe I'll send you a personal message as this could get lengthy ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I'll PM you! I'm in the US in the southeast.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Probably the best way to start showing is to just do it. The local kennel clubs should be able to tell you about where you can find handling classes, and you might want to look into joining the nearest Basset Hound Club as well. Be prepared, though, that your hounds are likely NOT competitive, given the background. Showing them is probably more practice for you, and meeting people at the shows and letting them get to know you.

When people are looking to purchase a first show dog, I generally recommend a male. This is because you can get a higher quality animal this way. Good females are like gold and breeders are reluctant to part with them, especially to an unknown newbie, but we usually have more quality males than we can find show homes for. The male will be your learning dog. You need to be sure you are purchasing from a breeder that is successful in the show ring, so that they can properly evaluate the quality of the dog and provide guidance for you.

Usually Basset people are very friendly, but it definitely depends on your area.

If you really want an educational experience, you should consider attending the National Specialty, which this year is in Lancaster, PA. You can see hundreds of Bassets competing in a variety of events, including hunting, tracking, obedience, agility and showing.

Showing does require a thick skin, a sense of humor, and the ability to not take things too seriously.

FWIW, I know a few breeders who started out like you, breeding their pets, and who later became respected top breeders. It can be done, just takes a willingness to try and to learn.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When people are looking to purchase a first show dog, I generally recommend a male. This is because you can get a higher quality animal this way. Good females are like gold and breeders are reluctant to part with them, especially to an unknown newbie, but we usually have more quality males than we can find show homes for. The male will be your learning dog. You need to be sure you are purchasing from a breeder that is successful in the show ring, so that they can properly evaluate the quality of the dog and provide guidance for you.

Usually Basset people are very friendly, but it definitely depends on your area.

If you really want an educational experience, you should consider attending the National Specialty, which this year is in Lancaster, PA. You can see hundreds of Bassets competing in a variety of events, including hunting, tracking, obedience, agility and showing.

Showing does require a thick skin, a sense of humor, and the ability to not take things too seriously.

FWIW, I know a few breeders who started out like you, breeding their pets, and who later became respected top breeders. It can be done, just takes a willingness to try and to learn.
Thanks for these tips! I feel like I'm learning something new every day.

I would consider myself above BYBs or typical pet breeders. There's another basset breeder in my small town, and honestly, her dogs not only look like crap (they look like beagles with curved legs) but I talked with her about breeding and she didn't understand basic things like how to measure her dogs shoulder height or the difference in red vs. mahogany. She also sells "blues" higher for being "rare." She requested stud services from my male, but I declined. Her stock just isn't good. I feel like if I were in this just for the money, I would let anyone willing to throw money at me to breed with my dogs. I have my dogs health tested for severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease X linked and Thrombopathia. They are also all up-to-date on shots and negative for brucellosis. So I feel like I'm definitely taking steps in the right direction.

I appreciate the tip on getting a male from a show breeder. I have been researching some kennels here in the US and have found 3 I would eventually like a dog from. I also have looked at some European kennels, but some people told me to stay away from that as "Euro basset" is just a flashy marketing term, kind of like "champion bloodlines."

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
as "Euro basset" is just a flashy marketing term, kind of like "champion bloodlines."
That is correct, a serious show breeder of the type you want to buy from will never use either of those terms as selling points.

Be aware that they WILL be wary of selling to you as you are already breeding - show breeders are protective of their lines and don't want to risk them being associated with poor breeders. You will need to give them time to get to know you, to see that you are serious about learning and doing things right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be aware that they WILL be wary of selling to you as you are already breeding - show breeders are protective of their lines and don't want to risk them being associated with poor breeders. You will need to give them time to get to know you, to see that you are serious about learning and doing things right.
I expected that, as it's very understandable.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
the only thing I would add is learning about structure. What constitutes a "sound dog" regardless of breed. How does the apply to a basset in particular. The role of genetics and environment on physical and behavioral trait.

Basset Hound University
is a good place to start.

become a member of BHCA (basset club of America) full membership may be difficult at first because it require recommendation from other members but an associate membership (no Voting rights) does not

Members of BHCA can get a copy of the Illustrated Standard The Basset Hound Illustrated Standard free of charge.

Even Within the breed standard there is a degree of flexibility that allows for different "styles" some you may like others not so much. Having an idea where you want to go a purpose to breeding means you have a chance of success. breeding without a purpose not so much. IMHO this is the first step really. Figure out What is the purpose for your breeding. How are you going to help the breed. When you have a purpose, a vision IMHO you will be taken more seriously by other breeders. Keeping in mind it is ok to change , even expected to change/modify that vision as you become more knowledgeable in the breed.

akc Breeder Education Courses https://caninecollege.akc.org/collections/courses-for-breeders. Developed by Claudia Orlandi Friend and renowned basset breeder (Topsfield) ABCS and PCAM Table of Contents Courses themselves are free of Charge. Small fee for certificate of successful completion

Bred with H.E.A.R.T. Requirements - American Kennel Club

Judge & Breed Mentors

Health Policy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only thing I would add is learning about structure. What constitutes a "sound dog" regardless of breed. How does the apply to a basset in particular. The role of genetics and environment on physical and behavioral trait.

Basset Hound University
is a good place to start.

become a member of BHCA (basset club of America) full membership may be difficult at first because it require recommendation from other members but an associate membership (no Voting rights) does not

Members of BHCA can get a copy of the Illustrated Standard The Basset Hound Illustrated Standard free of charge.

Even Within the breed standard there is a degree of flexibility that allows for different "styles" some you may like others not so much. Having an idea where you want to go a purpose to breeding means you have a chance of success. breeding without a purpose not so much. IMHO this is the first step really. Figure out What is the purpose for your breeding. How are you going to help the breed. When you have a purpose, a vision IMHO you will be taken more seriously by other breeders. Keeping in mind it is ok to change , even expected to change/modify that vision as you become more knowledgeable in the breed.

akc Breeder Education Courses https://caninecollege.akc.org/collections/courses-for-breeders. Developed by Claudia Orlandi Friend and renowned basset breeder (Topsfield) ABCS and PCAM Table of Contents Courses themselves are free of Charge. Small fee for certificate of successful completion

Bred with H.E.A.R.T. Requirements - American Kennel Club

Judge & Breed Mentors

Health Policy
all of this is great! Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I just found this podcast, you might find it useful. If you go back to the beginning there are some episodes covering the basics. https://puredogtalk.com/episodes/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts