Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bette will hopefully be in her first show in November. We have been working with her slowly and just getting her used to the lead that a family member gave to me. The problem is that this show lead is meant for smaller dogs (family member shows English Cockers) and I know I will need a more sturdy lead when Bette gets a bit bigger. Does anyone know where I might find one and the best to use? I've looked at dog shows and haven't seen one, just regular leashes. I've seen some people showing bassets with a light chain around the neck area and the rest cloth or leather like. Thanks for any advice!

CTG

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I use both nylon and chain slip collars, the lightest that will still hold the hound. If it's nylon, I make sure the color is close to the color on the neck where it will sit. If using white, get slightly off-white, it will make the dog look whiter. If I'm using chain I prefer the "snake" type, I just find it more elegant. I prefer a "one piece" type arrangement, either a "torpedo" lead or the loop-type lead that attaches to the collar without a clip.

Some people like martingales, which I find awkward. Others like Rescoes, but I wouldn't trust those on a less-trained dog.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are handling classes offered in your area? Do you know a basset breeder (perhaps Bette's breeder) who might be willing to mentor you? I'm new to showing in conformation, having started four years ago. Take it from one who knows -- you have a LOT to learn! I'm fortunate to be surrounded by basset people who have been extremely generous in sharing their knowledge. I'm also taking handling classes and have learned a great deal there.

Miriam gave you good advice regarding leads and collars. I've gotten mine through on-line catalogs (J. B. Pets, for instance) and at dog shows.

Good luck showing Bette. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I usually use a metal collar--snake or fine chain link, in whichever color (chrome or gold) best complements the dog. This gives me the best control over the head. I use a lead that matches the dog. While I prefer thin leather leads, I've had some bad luck with them breaking. Fabric leads seem to hold up better, but they don't look as nice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. They do not have conformation classes near where I live on days we can go. My husband used to show dogs with his mom so he's getting back into it. He's the one who is going to handle Bette. His mom is going to help us, she is just not experienced with this breed but has many many years of experience in the show ring with other breeds. I have gotten alot of information from Bette's breeder but she lives a ways away. I just wanted some other opinions on show leads and where to get them. Thanks again!

CTG

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've found I have better control with a puppie with a martingale, but it's really a matter of what the handler is used to.

As for handling classes, most people, including professional handlers, don't know how to show a basset hound. I've heard many who have tried, after showing a wide variety of breeds, say that basset hounds are one of the most difficult breeds to show if not the most difficult. Try to find someone, especially your basset's breeder, to help you out. Sure general handling classes are great because they give you the scheduled practice and socialization for your dog with other breeds that she will see at shows, but learning from someone who truly knows how to sho a basset hound can be far more helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she, and your husband do in the ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts