Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are supposed to pick up our new puppy over the week of Thanksgiving, and I just found out today that he is a singleton (only puppy). There are other dogs in the household that he interacts with but no other puppies.

According to the interwebs, singleton puppies become adult dogs with a multitude of emotional and social problems.

I am already on a wait-list for puppy kindergarten, and had already planned two half days of doggy daycare a week for socializing. We have friends with adult dogs.

Should I forgo this puppy and get on yet another wait list? I am prepared for normal puppy issues, and I have experience as a dog owner, but I am worried that this is a big red flag, especially if the puppy has a higher propensity for aggression (from increased timidity, touch sensitivity, etc.), and this pup would be around cats and young children.

Have you had any experience living with a singleton Basset?

I appreciate any honest feedback, good or bad.

Thank you in advance!
Ann

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
The individual situation is more important than some gross generalization. The current singleton we have is better socialized and is better with people and other dogs than other litters we have had and that is in the midst of covid shut downs,

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
[/quote]two half days of doggy daycare a week for socializing [/quote]

this can be good or bad for a puppy depending on how the facility is run. Personally I would avoid cage free facilities where they force all the dogs together in big groups with inadequate supervision which is simply a recipe for disaster but the growing trend in day care. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The individual situation is more important than some gross generalization. The current singleton we have is better socialized and is better with people and other dogs than other litters we have had and that is in the midst of covid shut downs,
Thank you, I am glad to hear that your dog is well adjusted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two half days of doggy daycare a week for socializing [/quote]

this can be good or bad for a puppy depending on how the facility is run. Personally I would avoid cage free facilities where they force all the dogs together in big groups with inadequate supervision which is simply a recipe for disaster but the growing trend in day care. .
[/QUOTE]

I agree - I am going to visit the facility this week. I believe they separate the dogs into smaller groups, and there are currently a lot of puppies attending.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I'm probably not the person to ask aboiut this because we rarely, in all our years with Bassets, had a singleton hound other than two singleton 'litters' and that was difficult until they were big enough to go in with the 'pack'. Our first hound was only on his own with us for around 10 months after which our second arrived. We needed the gap to get to grips with our first Basset ! Then at the end of our bloodline, we had the last for about 4 months before a new companion (not a Basset, a Whippet) joined us. It is a fact that, in my opinion, Bassets do best with canine company, unless their humans are around more often than not. A lonely Basset is a sorry thing. I'm not that sure about 'doggy daycare' to be honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm probably not the person to ask aboiut this because we rarely, in all our years with Bassets, had a singleton hound other than two singleton 'litters' and that was difficult until they were big enough to go in with the 'pack'. Our first hound was only on his own with us for around 10 months after which our second arrived. We needed the gap to get to grips with our first Basset ! Then at the end of our bloodline, we had the last for about 4 months before a new companion (not a Basset, a Whippet) joined us. It is a fact that, in my opinion, Bassets do best with canine company, unless their humans are around more often than not. A lonely Basset is a sorry thing. I'm not that sure about 'doggy daycare' to be honest.
The puppy won't be alone with us - my husband and I both work from home. Or do you mean dog companionship?

He is a single puppy, and I am concerned about his infantile lack of socialization, and I am not sure how much catch-up can be made at 8 weeks and up, per what I have read...

·
Registered
18 Posts
'There is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners'.

I have an only dog , but she is very social and everyone is her new best friend, human or canine. That you recognise the potential issue and are doing something positive on the dog's behalf shows you will over come any issue. I think you will do a great job and the dog will be very happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts