Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
NO!! NO!! NO!!

Do your basset, and yourself a favor, have her spayed. It's better for her and will contribute to keeping her healthy and happy for many years to come.

------------------
JanO
Foodslave to Denver and Bullseye the cat (AKA- PsycoKitty)
"Somedays your the dog, somedays the hydrant"

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only people who should be breeding their dogs are those who are willing to invest the time, money, and effort to do it the right way. This means someone willing to pay for genetic testing, necessary prenatal care, puppy vaccinations and other vet needs, PLUS, be willing to take full responsibility for those puppies for their entire lifetime. Are you willing to do all of this? I sure wouldn't.

I am positive that I only covered the minimum committment level required. Anyone with more experience...please feel free to jump on in.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I see from your profile that you're of school age. Good for you for researching what it takes to be a responsible breeder.
Here is some information about responsible breeding that should be useful.

The Responsible Breeder and Making a Difference

Checklist for the Responsible Breeder

Here is the Basset Hound Club of America's Health Policy. This describes genetic disorders know to affect basset hounds and lists screening tests for bassets that will be used in a breeding program.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 12-13-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Umbilical hernias are believed to have some genetic basis. It is recommended that such dogs not be bred.

I've produced two puppies with umbilical hernias, both from the same mother (different fathers) so I would suspect a genetic problem there.

It is also possible that it is caused by the mother being rough in cutting the cord, but why take the chance?

Thank you so much for asking first!!!! Way too many people breed the dog first and ask questions later.

------------------
Miriam,
Mom to Kermit, Spot, Mouse, Rainbow, Copper, Sally, Gabby, Ginger, Lucy, Webster & Rosie

My friend got a basset hound for her husband.......I think she made a good trade.

[This message has been edited by Soundtrack (edited 12-13-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts