Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
just wondering if anyone's Basset shivers? Louie does it mostly when he's lying down. It doesn't matter if he's just been outside, or he's sleeping on the couch and been indoors for a while. He hasn't had any injuries, he's eating and playing normally (not hypoglycemia because he does it after eating too). I thought maybe he was just cold because his pads, nose and ears feel cool to the touch, however he's fine outside in the snow when it's freezing cold and he's covered in snow. Besides the shivering he's otherwise healthy and acting normally...
anyone have any suggestions?
I will ask my vet, but just thought i'd toss this around first!
Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
My first thought would be pain? But you say he doesn't seem to have any. I really don't any other idea. Curious to see what input you get. He is such a cutie pie! :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
My girls do this occasionally, and I'm certain it has nothing to do with being cold. I think it's when they're worried about something and have a little too much tension. In fact, we moved last June and I noticed a lot of shivering last summer, even on very warm days. I attributed it to being a little nervous about the move. They always got over it eventually, with no ill effects......

·
Registered
111 Posts
I spoke with Miss Daisy about this....her reply was "sounds like time for a trip South! Howl Howlllll !"

Let us know what you find out. Miss Daisy is 5 years old and I haven't seen this in her as yet.

Good Luck :blink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies!

i keep thinking it's pain too...but then once he's deeply sleeping he stops. The only thing i can think that could be causing it would be that his front legs are starting to look a little crooked. He's not limping when he walks and i can touch and rub them without him even caring about it...
not sure...
my sister-in-law works at our vet's office, so maybe i'll just as her instead of bringing him in just for shivering...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rupert does it quite often as well.
He also is a healthy dog to my knowledge.
He does it more often after he has eaten but not all the time.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Doris freeze easily, so I sometimes has to cover her
with a blanket. It's often when she's been out in cold
weather, and it's chilly inside.

Mine would rather pant when they have been in pain.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Neither of my 3 shiver, even in the cold, and they go out in any weather. Dudley is probibly my "coldest" basset. He likes to get under the covers at night, and likes to sit in front of heater. (see his pictures in my other post)

The only time I had one shiver, was when Dudley came down with parvo. He was shaking from all the pain in his stomach.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Charlie shivers when he is first out of the bath, so I am assuming him being cold. But I believe it may have something to do with anxiety/nervousness as well. One day, my husbands niece was over, and she is asmhatic and allergic to dogs, so we left charlie outside all day. He is not used to being alone and somewhat ignored, he is the king of the house. This was during the summer/fall time so it wasnt cold outside. When she left, and we brought him in, we were snuggling with him in our bed, and we notcied he was shivering. I never really put two and two together until now when I read someone elses post.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes my Freddy does it too. He mostly does it when he gets out of the bath or if it's really cold out side, since we live in Canada. It is not a problem. Don't worry there is probably no problem with your basset hound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our Dixie does this. At first I also was concerned, but after a year and no ill effects I think it is normal for her. I think it is probably from the thought of living with her obnoxious brother.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buford does it also.

What about when they first wake up in the morning. Buford drops his back legs a few times before we make it to the door for him to be let out. Like he has no circulation in them. Do your hounds do this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Dixie does this. At first I also was concerned, but after a year and no ill effects I think it is normal for her. I think it is probably from the thought of living with her obnoxious brother.[/b]
My 3 yr old Sadie does this shivering thing and it always seems related to stress. If she is being scolded, frightened by an unexpected loud noise she shivers and goes totally submissive. She recently had a cyst removed from her rear leg which required daily changes of the dressing until it was healed. She would always shiver during this procedure; but after it was completed, she would always seek some extra loving and the shivering would stop. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to everyone for all your input and suggestions!
We recently welcomed a new addition - see A New Addition post - and Louie doesn't seem to shiver anymore...maybe it was just attention seeking...???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts